Smokey exhaust – looked bluey-white

GreenVTi991

Driving on the motorway just now cruising downhill at 70 I let off the gas to slow down and noticed a plume of bluey-white smoke exit my exhaust. I sped up again then let off once more and sure enough another plume. Then as I exited the motorway and changed down through the gears – more smoke. Got to my destination, parked up and revved the car to over 4k, let off the throttle – no blue smoke.

Blue smoke = expensive, right? Valve stem oil seals or piston ring failure, yes?

I've just checked the oil level and it's just above maximum.

It's due a service as I last done it mid-Nov and have done about 6k miles. Would an oil additive help? If so, which one would you guys recommend, if any? I've read horror stories about additives over the years so don't want to compound the issue!

If it's above MAX then there's too much oil in there which may be causing the smoke?

Yeah i agree. Too much oil is just as bad as not enough!

x3 extra oil has to go somewhere, so gets burnt off.

They love oil changes @ 6k it could definitely use one, additives and flushes not recommended.

If you want to flush it, once you've drained the old oil add about a litre of cheap oil run it for 15mins - 1/2 hour, drain and fill with good 10/40. :D