Help!! Clunking noise.

Shaddow

Hi all.

Hopein someone may know the answer to one of two of my questions.

I have a mb6 civic with the following problems.

Firstly my car has recently developed a clunking noise from the front end. It is difficult to pin point when it happens but generally when going round a roundabout and at the same time hitting the road split lines. After some trial and error I managed to replicate the noise by going over some fairly large speed bumps but having the o/s wheel off the speedbump. I hacked the car up to look for any signs of worn bushes but nothing jumps out. The driveshafts were both replaced along with lower ball joints about 2months ago.

Also, when I experience the clunk on a turn it is as if it's a two way noise. The cluck will happen on turning right and then coming out of the roundabout turning left it is as if something pushes back in place and cluck happens again.

I can't see any parts fouling and it does not happen when turning the wheel staticaly or while the front wheels are off the ground.

Thanks for any help and advice.

For my second mystery.

While I had the car jacked up I noticed a lot of what seemed to be oil covering the n/s underside of the car. The area in line with the fuel filter. Part of drive shaft and arb was covered. I used a mirror the inspect around the oil filter but there are no signs of leaks and my oil level is still correct as per my previous service. Almost looks like some sort off oil bomb exploded just below the filter but the filter has no oil on it.

Again any advice or speculations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Does sound like driveshaft to me did you replace with new or second hand? Only other thing I could think of is front arb links or engine mount! Also that oil could be grease for a split cv boot

Hi.

Driveshafts were brand new when replaced. Inspected boots and no evidence of damage or wear.

Before driveshaft replacement clunking was whenever turning, however now it only happens around some corners. I have a feeling it's arb as the noise seems to appear when body is experiencing torsional loads. This would explain why it happens when going over large speed bumps with o/s wheel not going over bump. ( body experience some twist. )

Thanks

Now completely confused.

Just had my car up on some ramps to give it a good all round inspection and all bushes seems fine. Noplay in any of the parts. But clunking noise still there as explained in first post.

Would much prefer if I found a worn bush or fauly part so I know what to replace.

hmm.. ill have a look at the front hubs. As for spigot rings. Dont believe any are fitted. might just take wheel off and check. When garage had it jacked up on ramps, tried moving front wheels and looked for any excess play. Results = no play = no clear problem. grr...

Could not see any wear on drop links. May change them as a precaution and see if it solves it. Had a thought and could the "clunk" noise have anything to do with gearbox? Some part of LSD when more load is on one of the wheels than on the other?

try rocking the steereing wheel mate at least a quarter ov turn left to right do it quite fast and see if it knocks ?

do it stationary tho ?

if so it could be the steereing arms :idea:

or a track rod end !

also dont jack the car up to check things as this will only put tention on the parts .