Preventing wheel nuts from seizing

Bri

ditto, never know a wheel nut to seize, but have known the wheel to seize on to the hub, envolving [smash.gif] to get them off. to cure that i normally get the wheel off, wire brush the wheel hub up and also the hub on the car it's self, then i put a bit of grease on the hub it self not much though. if you put too much on it it will be squezed out between wheel and the hub creating a mess in side the wheel...

the reason why this happen's is because of the mix of metal's, the wheel is made out of a alloy, and the hub is made out of a high tensile steel, in theory it the same with the wheel nut's, high tensile steel stud's, and normanly steel nut's. but if the OP had put cheap lightweight alloy nut on like these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Performance-Wheels-Coloured-Tuner-Style-Wheel-Nut-M12-x-1-50-In-Gold-/200710802071?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item2ebb4bca97

i've seen this happen, had a car come in for mot, failed on something, went to take the wheel off, and these cheap tacky tuner nuts split clean in half..... found that the thread in the nut, there was nothing left of it.

Cheers for the info, what I meant to say was, to prevent doing damage to the the threads on the hub. I seen sometimes that the nut is fairly tight to get off even when it is not over tightened when putting wheel on. I got a new set of alloys and got the adapter for the nuts, not standard nuts, adapter fits into nut. Don't know what there called!!!!!!! It hapened me before, when using this adapter, I rounded the adapter/nut and had to bring it to a garage to get it off, could have being overtightened by previous owner, or hadn't being taken off for a while, not sure. So I was just looking for something to prevent this from happening to my new alloys. I do give the hubs and wheels a good cleaning with a wire brush, now and again.

agreed ive never had a wheel nut seize, copper grease is fine just dont over do it otherwise eventually they will come loose under load. torque wrench is a very good buy because it applies to every important nut on the car, how ever what ive always done when not in possession of a torque wrench is do up hand tight until it starts to bite, then 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn and thats roughly about 80-90nm, which if im right in saying is most torque settings for most wheel nuts :)