[Question] Engine Overheating

Guest tornado06

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tornado06
like you said engine temp all over the place! if theres mayo in the cap aswell then it can't be anything else mate

Understood, but as i said above, there is no mayo in cap probably :) And during the coolant and oil changes, i checked the oil and coolant for mixtures caused from head gasket failure, but can't realize any mixture, no oil in coolant, no coolant in oil.

As i said above, all cooling equiments are checked and replaced if corrupted, but can't see any difference.

My second question is, if you're in a situation like that, which way do you prefer, disassembly the engine for a head-gasket failure or selling the car in that condition? I don't want to disassembly the engine because in TR, there are many scammers that buy cars with high kms on odometers, drop the km on odometer and/or buy almost scrap cars and repair them, and sell them in "good condition, low kms, accident free etc.", so second hand cars are a bit unpreferable in TR. You can find many cars that has low kms but engine re-builded, i don't want to seem like that.

if youve checked everything. has the car had the water pump changed ever?

although they are usually a reliable part its possible the vanes on the impeller have worn and not circulating properly. obviously the engine produces more heat under heavy load or high rpms.

not changing the coolant for a long period of time, or just using water alone in the cooling sytem can cause premature wear on the components and corrosion which can narrow water ways etc.

Guest tornado06
if youve checked everything. has the car had the water pump changed ever?

although they are usually a reliable part its possible the vanes on the impeller have worn and not circulating properly. obviously the engine produces more heat under heavy load or high rpms.

not changing the coolant for a long period of time, or just using water alone in the cooling sytem can cause premature wear on the components and corrosion which can narrow water ways etc.

The coolant is changed regularly, as i stated in the first post, i'm using the car since 2001. I'll check the water pump but i don't think it is corrupt. The water pump is original, never replaced.

Also, even i can't find any water in oil, engine uses water. All pipes and hoses are checked for leaks but nothing found, probably the used water is sent into combustion chamber.

Guest tornado06
In that case again its pointing to head gasket failure. Head gaskets can go with various symptoms depending on where its ruptured

Ok, thank you.

remove radiator cap and run engine for about 45 mins to purge the air out. top up the expansion bottle then replace rad cap. if that does not work then look at a new thermostat or check radiator for leaks. check oil too maybe oil pump could be knackered. garages never tend to bleed the coolant system properly on these mb civics.

They are awkward to bleed. Bit if the cars been driven then it will push the air up into the expansion tank eventually. so doubt its air.

but then again.

I suppose you need to investigate simple things first though.

Guys, thank you all for your efforts to help. I do everything all of you stated above, engine bleeding, radiator cap check, etc. Nothing is changed. Probably, i will have the engine disassemblied by a mechanic and probably engine needs a new head gasket, and the head will be resurfaced to fit it perfectly with the new head gasket (Generally overheating bends the head, in worse cases, cylinders and other internals can be damaged), also i will have diameter of each cylinder checked and honed if necessary.

You can find the photos of oil cap, as i wrote above, it is clean, no mayo or something else on in.

http://img242.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _406lo.jpg

http://img108.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _428lo.jpg

Guys, thank you all for your efforts to help. I do everything all of you stated above, engine bleeding, radiator cap check, etc. Nothing is changed. Probably, i will have the engine disassemblied by a mechanic and probably engine needs a new head gasket, and the head will be resurfaced to fit it perfectly with the new head gasket (Generally overheating bends the head, in worse cases, cylinders and other internals can be damaged), also i will have diameter of each cylinder checked and honed if necessary.

You can find the photos of oil cap, as i wrote above, it is clean, no mayo or something else on in.

http://img242.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _406lo.jpg

http://img108.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _428lo.jpg

2 names :? tornado 06 and tornado :?