MG ZS: Project dog

Rudder

A few months ago I bought a saloon MG ZS120+ (mk1) and it was horrible. I don't think anything worked and it was very neglected. Its tahiti blue with the full 180 body kit.

When I got it back home I noticed the N/S/R wheel had some big camber and the inside of the wheel was almost bald whereas the outside had at leasr 5mm tread! Managed to pickup an entire trailing arm and control arms for £65 posted! Now the back wheels look much better.

The SRS light was constantly on and after taking it everywhere, it was diagnosed as a faulty SRS ECU (makes sense, the t*t I picked it up from jumped started it with his Land Rover). I replaced the ECU, but now I need to get everything configured.

Drivers window wouldn't go up and down properly, it kept missing the runner and no matter how much I adjusted it, it just wouldn't sit right...got ahold of another regulator, job done!

Took it for its MOT on 28th June and it passed, just. The handbrake passed by 8% and the fronts had an imbalance for 25%, so decided to treat the little b*stard to some 260mm rears (from a ZS180/ZR160) and 282mm fronts (from a Rover 620Ti). Stops dead now and no more pulling to the left when I push the pedal.

The trailing arm compliance bushes need doing so picked up a pair for £10 (Rimmer Bros have them for £5 each brand new). Just trying to build up the courage as I can see its going to be a swine.

Like all things Rover, the engine decided to drink its coolant and spit the oil from the cam carrier, so it was a perfect excuse for me to stick my spare engine and gearbox in it!

Current specs:

1.8 K-series turbo

135 camshafts

BRM (B6BST) Gearbox with Torsen Type B

282mm vented front brakes

260mm Solid rear brakes

MGZS.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

Comments welcome!

Looks good mate, and top marks for the effort you've put in to bring it back from what the careless previous owner had put it through. Prefer that style to the later facelifted models, although the later V6 with the vents in the wings and the kit looks immense! Just the rear of the late ones I didnt like. One that I looked at buying years ago was a mark 1 in trophy blue, with the two/tone blue leather interior. Love the colour!

What is the gearbox/lsd from?

Thanks guys! I will try and get some more pictures! I don't know if you can see but its got one of those "extreme" spoilers which isn't to my taste, so recommendations for a more subtle one appreciated!

The gearbox is from a Rover 200 BRM. They are pretty rare as there was only something like 1500 of these made, the gearset is quite close as well: 2.923 , 1.750, 1.308, 1.033, 0.848. Final drive: 3.938 (16/63). I haven't had the car rolling roaded, but i'm guessing (hoping) its pushing about 190BHP @ 260Nm...and for an engine thats made of cheese, i'd be quite happy with that!

Slightly off topic question; Do the ZS/ZR 262mm and 282mm calipers and carriers fit the MB6?