accord type r brakes on civic

jasons

First off, this is just at idea stage, it is not a commercial venture nor is it presently for sale.

I have purchased a pair of accord type r calipers, these fit direct to the MGZS and Civic with 262/282 front brakes.

The big problem is finding some 300mm discs that fit properly, and that are 28mm wide like the calipers were designed for.

And doing this without dangerous spacers, washers, shims or bodges.

The answer seems to lye in getting the correct disc that is a perfect fit.

I am looking into the possibility of getting the discs made up from a blank casting - so the end product will not be redrilled, not need spacers or shims or spigott rings, it would simply be a 300mm disc, 28mm wide that would fit correctly and without modification.

These would be (subject to final agreement) manufactured by the same company that made the discs for rover MG, Brembo, EBC and others, so of tier 1 quality.

So you could use this 300mm disc, accord type r calipers and pads and have a complete 300mm atr type brake setup that fits without any mods - under 16" rims tho.

Question is, would this be of interest to anyone (the custom discs that is), or should I not even bother going down this road?

And doing this without dangerous spacers, washers, shims or bodges.

The answer seems to lye in getting the correct disc that is a perfect fit.

Caliper is connected to the hub via the caliper carrier. Once you have a disc that fits the hub, (so in this case a 300mm disc, 28mm thick with 4x114 fitting for MC2/MB6) you can change the position of the calipers relative to the hub by changing the caliper carrier. Just look at high end brake companies like AP racing, they don't make thousands of different calipers for different applications, they make a handful and change the carriers to suit different cars.

A decent machine shop can make you a prototype carrier in a few hours and it won't be a bodge if the dimensions are right. I am looking at putting EP3 calipers on my MC and this was the way I have been looking to do it. It doesn't need the expense of a custom disc blank. Making a handful of brackets that only have 4 tapped holes in them has got to be cheaper 8-)

Either way I believe there would be some interest in the wider market for the idea as you are using Honda parts on a Honda which is always cool :)

Just my 2p

Dave

you'll have to keep us posted on this one Dave - are you planning to do this all round or just fronts?

I'd love to lose the pants rears and their sticking tendancies / pants handbrake..

At the minute I just planning on the fronts but I can look at the rears. Know what you mean about the handbrake, put mine on a while back and the car started to roll away while I jumped out to close the gate! Luckily I left the drivers window open so I could jump in and pull the handle up to the max before the car got to the main road, and worst of all the car was only on a gentle slope :shock:

yup - they're embarrassingly bad. If my car doesn't move for more than a few days, and the handbrake's been on (for all the good it does) it is always a bit siezed.

My hanbrake is fine, even on steep hills. It does sieze when its not been used for a few days though.

• 2 weeks later...

dr_broom surely if your calipers on the rear are that bad you should look at replacing them i know they arent the greatest but they aint terrible surely not?

this mod seems a waste of time unless your exceeding 200bhp then bigger brakes are important for stopping but day to day use they arent that bad, i aslway just stripped them down once a year (normally summer) clean them up and grease neccesary parts never ever had an issue with my brakes in 5 years of owning 2 x Aerodecks waste of time effort and money imo also using good low dust pads like green stuff or Ferodo ones helps alot i find and they stop really well after they have worn in.

obviously once again just my opinions not gospal every cars different just never had to change anyhting with regular TLC all stays working well.

So these are my 2nd set of calipers on the rear (about 2 - 3 years old) and they just seem to have a tendency to go sticky - especially if the car's not used for a week or so.

Admittedly they've not been stripped and cleaned, but as I say the calipers are pretty new in the grand scheme of things and it's not a problem I've had on any other car apart from my first one (pug 205).

always use green stuff, and don't have a problem with the stopping power :) just don't like rears because they seem prone to seizing. ;)

The EASIEST and most cost effective way, is to do a 5 stud swap. Whilst I can't vouch for the MB, having done 5 stud conversion on my old EG (with NSX brakes) and EM (with ATR brakes) it all just fits together with the correct "off the shelf" parts.

In my ownership of 7 civics of varying ages, Accords and a Prelude (And that doesn’t cover the EP’s, Jazz’s and ATR’s other family members own.) I personally can say ALL Honda models with rear disc brakes have handbrakes which are pap! Accords also have the clonkiest brakes of all the Hondas i've experienced so far.

I don't know if you have actually tried mounting these calipers to the MB hub yet, but as you already mention - I am sure reputable companies (Brembo?) can supply a disc to your measurements and drill them to 4x114.3. IIRC the Fiat Coupe Turbo runs a 300mm disc which are 4stud (although I don’t think 4x114) which may be worth a look at.

If you are wanting to make this a commercial venture - I think you would be looking at a very expensive package. Custom discs are going to be well over 3 figures per pair, with a set of decent pads (Ferodo?) then factor in the cost of a refurbished set of calipers / carriers / pins (you can’t sell grotty ones pulled off a banger in the scrappy) and possibly braided hoses... that puts it at over £500 and that’s just for the fronts! Sure economies of scale you coudl bring it downa bit but you see my point.

Considering the cost of an MB/MC seems to be about a grand for a good one these days, that’s a massive outlay. I’m sure AP, Brembo, D2 etc must do off the shelf kits for a similar price – although I am quite out of the car scene compared to what I once was, so don’t quote me!

All IMO of course!

Best of luck.