So gearboxes...... S80, S9B, S4C, Y21????

Ralston

Was driving the car earlier and realised that there was a noise coming from the box, not a loud one, but a noise at that! So I think it might be time to consider what needs doing as something will happen in the near future I am sure.

As we all know the S9B is a great box as comes with an LSD, however the ratios are rather long and consequently changing from 1st to 2nd the cars falls off VTEC which looses us about a sec 0-60! And with these cars without fail the best 'bang for buck' mod is changing the box out.....

As far as I am aware if i've got to change the box / get it refurbed anyway theres only four main options as far as i am concerned, S80 (4.7 or 4.4 FD), S4C, or refurb the S9B box with a S80 4.7 FD??? Who knows about ratios about all these boxes? The S9B is great for motorways but obvs putting a 4.7FD would change this a lot; however would probably be cheaper than a second hand used and abused S80 box? I want a box that doesn't drop off VTEC but would be well suited to the 1.8VTis???

Does anyone know all the ratios of the boxes so we can have a proper comparison??

Found ratios if anyone else is interested.....

S80 (96 Spec)

1st: 3.230

2nd: 1.900

3rd: 1.360

4th: 1.034

5th: 0.787

R: 3.000

FD: 4.400

S80 (98 Spec)

2nd: 2.105

3rd: 1.458

5th: 0.787

FD: 4.785

S9B

2nd: 1.900

3rd: 1.360

5th: 0.848

FD: 4.267

Y21 (for you simpo!)

2nd: 2.105

3rd: 1.458

4th: 1.107

5th: 0.848

FD: 4.400

http://www.teammfactory.com/gear-calculator allows you to see all the gearboxes fully compared.

i've just had a 4.785 fd put in my s9b (in the summer), but put a longer 5th gear in to compensate :)

the 5th is from a US integra ls and is the longest b series 5th gear, and even with the new fd is longer than the standard 5th which is even better on motorways... my fuel economy's actually a bit better than before because the gears seem more usable.

some good info on ratios here:

http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/temp/Bgears.htm

if you do go for the conversion option, you'll also need the first gear from the type r to fit on the countershaft - take a look at my project to see:

http://www.civic5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=3199&start=480#p129869

cheers

Awesome mate, thats sounds like perfect solution; however how much did this actually cost to do FD and 5th? Also my car is my only car so need to use it everyday so not sure if this would be the best option..... unless put a cheap Y21 in there and then redo the box to sell it or something?

Fairplay man, for that kind of money I reckon I'll just get an S80 box put in though otherwise my car will be off the round for ages...... If i had the time though that would def be the best option by the sounds of it!

If you get all of the parts together it could be done in a day, my brother who worked for Honda for 9 years reckons and this is an "On the driveway" quote too, 4.5 hours to remove the box, about an hour to swap the parts, then reassemble, less time with a ramp!

Ha fair play, unfortunately do not have the luxury of space atm so that's not an option either, gonna have to pay someone labour costs, the good news however is that it wasn't my gearbox making the noise as fixed it today, but least I now know about the best mod to do to a mb6!