My car is still idling up and down, ran out of ideas

vtec2011

sign_hi.gif1 I really hope I can get some help or advises here because its really starting to grind my gears! banghead.gif1 Nearly 3 weeks ago I was cleaning the throttle housing ( I actually removed the throttle for a proper clean up ) with brake cleaner. After I got it all very shiney squeaky clean, I then connected it all back up with a new throttle gasket. I started her up and let the engine warm up and find out it wasn't idling right. It keeps revving up and down between 1200-1500rpm when it should be idling smooth at 750rpm.

I checked for vacuum leaks, checked throttle cable and make sure everything was connected.

I thought the problem might be something to do with the 'idle air control valve', so I took that apart and cleaned that too (was clogged up of dirt) and that still didn't fix it.

So I figured the ECU could be confused as the throttle was cleaned and getting more air. I disconnected the ECU fuse, the back up fuse and disconnect the battery for 30 mins.. Connected it all back up, drove for 20 miles and it was still revving up and down..

Today I have done all the above again but using proper throttle cleaning spray. And I replaced all the vacuum pipes/hoses with some nice brand new flashy red pipes lol

blowupsmiley.gif

I have now run out of ideas so I would really appreciate it if you can suggest me on what other things I can do sort this problem. Thankyou for reading and many thanks for your help ;)

You sure you didnt airlock the water ways to the IACV?... make sure both pipes get hot which would prove water circulation. Then get a can of throttle cleaner and spray around throttle area.. if the engine dies you found your leak....

X2 on that. If both your pipes are getting hot and it's still doing it, and you have double checked for vac leaks, then either the valve is still getting stuck or it just may of had it. From our experience they don't like to be messed with. Another good thing to try is remove the intake pipe, cover the IACV hole in the TB with ur finger and start the motor. if it idles normal (when hot) then you know its the valve.Hope you get it sorted.

Thankyou very much everyone for the reply's and help :D The engine doesn't seem to rev up and down as bad now, but its still doing it... I still cannot find any vacuum leaks after replacing the pipes for new ones. I have also diconnected the MAF sensor and the engine just died, which probably prove thats working fine. Tomorrow I will go through it again and check the water pipes temperature for circulation. I have also read somewhere on another site that the fast idle thermo valve can be sticking but I cannot find it on my Civic. Again cheers everyone :P

Might sound funny but did you out the gasket on the right way around its been done before lol

Can be an easy mistake to be done :? The engine seem to idle just under a 1000rpm now but its still isn't right, but it will do for now ;)