noisy b18c4. making me sad! help please.

KiNK43

I do not use the car in the week . so you may see me out and about at the weekends.

I would have a look around the manifold were it bolts to the head and around an joins for black areas , or just have it running and use your fingers to feel around the joins ( but do not but you finders on the exhaust ) or you will loose your finger prints. Rich.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My manifold gasket has been split for a while, everyone says it sounds like a tractor when I accelerate low down in the revs. Also when I put the heating on in the car you can smell exhaust fumes.

You can kinda see some of the black patches where it has split in the below picture

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae28 ... 1258807689

I'm waiting on an impact wrench to be delivered so I can change it, the nuts are on too damn tight.

(The other half of the airbox is going to when the impact wrench comes, rusy bolts :roll:)

Tony

ok so its just a case of feeling round for flow ok... im makin a day of it sunday.

its my birth day and no one is gonna interupt me! ha

gonna have a pop at the tappets my self too see how it goes.

thanks for all the input . much appreciated

just had so little time. not even checked it out yet. kids been ill so no time.

weekend again. will do valve clearences. did manage to go out and get a feeler guage so half way there.

please enlighten me what are LMA's?

thanks

there are the things that hold up the rocker for the high cam lobe when car if off vtec, when you look at the rockers there found underneath the middle rocker, iirc there £90 for a set from honda

Wow, never ever heard of those being replaced, the whole set-up in the head is so ultra reliable!! Have you had to change yours then bud?? :o:shock:

what are TAPPETS??lol

Tappets is another name for Valve Clearances. Its the gap between the rocker arm and the valve in your head. They have to be set to certain measurements, too lose and you loose performance and get a rattle type noise from the top of your engine, too tight and you can loose compression, and ultimately burn out your valves. (Very rare on a honda though in my experience!!!)

Burnt out my valves because the clearences had become too tight! Wasnt a good day.

right then. as well as a few other bits n bobs. tried to do tappets today.... think i bit off a bit more than i could chew.

once i had the rocker cover off everything looked familiar, all set to go. then probably the stupidest thing ever. i coulndt turn the timing sprockets to tdc. or at all for that matter.

tried to reach down to the crank but couldnt get enough leverage to turn from there as space is minimal.

then things went real bad... previous owner has obviously sprayed rocker cover whilst still on engine so every joint that broke threw shards of red paint into the head. took the best part of an hour picking all the paint out. touch wood running ok now but could have been catastrophic. :?

so next question is how do i turn the crank?

Archived