Rescuing the MC2. End of one chapter, sold.

Karjis

So today it begins!

Day 1: Disassemble half of the engine.

Goal is to remove fluids then head and oil sump. 

If I have time start to disassemble the head by removing valve springs and clean what I can.

Okay so I finished my day at garage about at 10 pm. Some relatives arrived unnoticed to visit so I spent 3 hours doing nothing. :D

Day 1:

Head is off, fluids are out.

Didn't have the energy to remove oil sump anymore today, it's first thing tomorrow.

I've been changing oils more often so head is much cleaner than it was last autumn. No black stuff all around anymore.

Cylinder walls are fine, factory hone marks are nicely visible so no worries with that. Rings might be jammed somehow. Cylinder walls are quite oily when piston is down, so it is burning. But okay it's no surprise that b-series engine has oil rings stuck after 230 000 km (144kmiles). And previous owner used some el cheapo oils so engine was dirty.

Took short 750km test drive during weekend with E85, 9 liters / 100km was the consumption so I basically save 30% with fuel costs with finnish prices. But okay now this nice days spending working with the engine. It's surprisingly relaxing when weather is nice and not having to hurry. 

So basically only pic I got today was after lunch with somehow clean hands :D

I also forgot my Ixus to home and I only have phone to get some pics. But I'll try to take some photos tomorrow morning before my hands are again oily. :D

So.. Head without cams. Nothing to see here, moving on.

head.jpg

Ahaha, yea right :D

Todays work:

Oil pan off

Crankshaft bearing out

Old pistons out

Quick honing for cylinder walls

"New" pistons (ITR) with new rings and measuring etc done.

New crankshaft bearings and checking clearances with plastigauge.

New connecting rod big end bearings and checking clearances with plastigauge..

Oil pan back after cleaning.

So phew.. day 2 finished worked from 11am to 10pm. :D

Tomorrow day 3 will be headwork day. [smash.gif]

garage.jpg

Oh no!

Oil stain on a brick drive, that's going to be a b****r to get off!

Yeah, that oil stain is there by -04 VW Transporter, can't blame any of my Hondas for that :D I'm working at my fathers garage and his work van decided last winter not to like it's oil after cold start.  sick-smileys-1050.gif] Breather froze so it pushed oils out through dipstick hole after starting. Just a reason of bad design.

And K7000, Honda engines are just big pile of adult legos like Tom said. :D It's not difficult but requires some knowledge about how to measure clearances etc. But with green Haynes book "Honda Civic 1995 to 2000" you'll do almost everything. It also has good list about tightening torques and clearances. Of course Honda service manuals are excellent help. Honda manuals help to do things the right way how Honda has designed thins to be done. 

So it's sunny outside. Nice 23 degrees with a little wind. Perfect day to begin day 3.

Today:

-valve springs out

-cleaning the valves etc.

-ITR valve springs in.

And I hope that head is back on the engine at the end of the day.

• Like 1