MB6 Progress

KieranEG6

I quite like a nose down look myself but with the koni's it's more of an a**e in the air look.

Dave, it's not a problem on the MB3 only seems to be an issue with the MB6.

It must be the front that's lower on mb6 with the heavier drivetrain

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must be the front that's lower on mb6 with the heavier drivetrain

Makes sense actually. I could just to go on a front end Diet. Always a good Mod on a FWD car anyways to help Weight distribution. 

Can remove quite a bit. Can get costly though. 

Removing: (Rough weights)

Bonnet sound proffing 1-2kg

Airbox resonator. 1-2kg

Craply cast manifold swapped to decent stainless 7-8kg

Lightend flywheel 3kg 

Slim fans 1/2kg

Fog lights (are F*#ked anyway) 3-4kg. 

Billet Polly engine mounts 1-2kg, 

Remove torque mounts 2-3kg. So would have to remove aircon. 

Biggest gain would be the Aircon pump, Rad, Piping and Dash A/C matrix. 15-20kg. But wanted to keep my A/C seeing as this car is for daily cruising/ traveling etc.

Quite easy to Cut 25-40kg from the front end. Without mega cash. Mounts will be the most expensive. I going dig around the Bay and see what else I can chuck must be ton's of stuff I can Bin in favour of cable ties. I could measure front height before and after.

Wonder if the S4C/Y21 box weighs less than an S9B as I have both in the shed. 

Also something I haven't seen on here yet thats always usefull. Anyone done a Weight list thread yet with all the weights of stuff on the cars. Seen a few EG6, EK9, DC2 ones around forums. Would have thought you guys to be well on top of weights being so chunky to start with. 

Putting on a diet will defo help ay, but I think most people here enjoy the comfort and practicality of these cars a bit more than most hence no weight loss guide. Still nippy motors even with the creature comforts

Guest civicreaper

Nothing worse than having to stick around after a good dogging sesh waiting for the windows to clear and iirc nurburgring is 16 miles so the mountain section at 17 miles is in fact longer. Spare wheel must be a bit of a weight to be saved by its removal

• 2 weeks later...

Well thought I would update. Try and bring my Build thread on topic.....

Slightly helped lower front end situation. I had a couple of spare shock forks so I welded some lugs onto the top of 2 and then ground them even at about 5mm above normal flange. Forces the shock to sit higher thus the body. 

DSC_1587_zpsd47b49bc.jpg

This was straight after I fitted them. 

DSC_1574_zps0491c031.jpg

The rears have also settled a bit but so did the front. So thought It was the front that needed raising as it was catching on speed bumps and also rubbing arch over harsh bumps. Rear also sits much better with a Full tank of fuel.

This is after the front fork mod, half tank and 2 wheels in the boot. 

DSC_1588_zpse7e28ce4.jpg

Think it sits much better but still may need raising a little bit. Will have make a decision on if the Aircon is staying or not.  

Next was its second oil change, gear oil and valve clearances to quieten it down a bit. Bloody good job I did as they were massive. Also fitted a second Dizzy that I pulled of my spare C4 as it had a new cap and internals recently. Then the EK9 Mugen Airbox.

DSC_1626_zpsb35fff6d.jpg

Had to cut the pipe off going into the wing airbox resonator chamber, relocate the header tank and bracket. Is a little tought on the intake tube but sits ok. Really need to get my spare Rocker covers Painted so I can put one on. I have 4 spare covers I need to get round to painting or sending to body shop to do. 

Weirdly enough the car now has a substancial hesitation at low revs under load. Its almost like a fuel cut. Will have to investigate further if it worsens.

As of todays work I managed to get one of my old crapy 2.5" stailess systems back of a mate and a DC2 Back box aswell. The center section was straight through and the manifold flange was at the wrong angle. So had to cut it up and rebuild it with a new center silencer. 

DSC_1620_zpsdad7af32.jpg

DSC_1621_zps0c169976.jpg

DSC_1624_zps657a2a96.jpg

35734eaf-3775-4800-b8e0-19aec3cd1829_zps

Had to also remake the rear flange as it was s**t. 

At first I thought it was going to be a sinch to fit the dc2 back box but then I remembered I had no rear ARB fitted. I had removed the standard one while waiting on the MG ZS one to arrive as the knocking links and bushes were doing my head in. So after fitting the ZS roll bar it turned out I would have to sit the Back box to the side a bit and cut the bumper. Was a bit of a rush job as we were closing up so basically just welded a rear hanger on the box and made room in the bumper for it to sit. Will get pictures later. 

Also really need to get shopping for a 98 spec or other decent cheap 2.5" manifold as that standard one is an Obomination!!