smell of fuel inside car! help!!!

skitzma8

Just been for a drive in my MA today and noticed I can strongly smell petrol inside the car! Over the past few days I could faintly smell petrol when I was driving about, but thought the car was over fueling or something like that? But now its got worse and I don't really want to drive it till its fixed, I've had a look to find out what it could be... And as soon as I lifted up the rear bench the smell of petrol was too much, and under the seat and carpets are damp and sticky with the stuff, so it must have been going on for a while, the previous owner of my MA needs shooting!! Anyway does anyone know how I go about repairing this issue as its got to be the seal around the top of the float? Can I use some sort of sealant to fix? As it needs sorting ASAP!!! Thanks :)

When I unsersealed my car I made sure to check the fuel filler pipe for corrosion but there wasn't any so I undersealed it, the smell is deffinatly coming from behind the drivers side rear bench when I lift it up.

hmm got a similar problem in my dads aerodeck but not as bad as yours I don't think as we can only smell petrol when we are stationary and when driving we cant smell any, just had fuel pipes replaced as it was leaking majorly underneath! 

Rotten fuel pipes is a common issue often under the the car at left side of the tank.

Think you should check the hoses onto the pump. They use those silly clips that also rot as they are exposed to elements.

failing that some gasket sealant under pump and float that's suitable for fuel system.

Well I've been around the car inside and out and the leak/vapours are coming from the top of float seal I think as its sort of layered with dry/sticky petrol residue! And its leading me to believe, that when I put petrol in the car because of the pressure that builds up in the system when I'm driving its passing through the failed float seal and letting vapours in to the cabin! All I want to know is what seal to use as the fumes are putting me off driving my MA8 :( and if I have windows down it makes is worse because it wafts fumes about!