MB6 tuning

spudley1988

He reckoned moving higher was a waste of time, means would be waiting longer for a whack of power where as lower im in my power quicker then the iab's open up so it was giving me a great distribution of power. He did say the higher reading could have been just due to things having been properly warmed up but it was evident on the dyno the power curve was much better compared to it being set at 4800 rpm.

Car has induction kit, mongoose cat back with de-cat lightened flywheel and a few other bits that wouldnt make much diff on a dyno lol.

Definitely interesting, as Jake said most tuners move the vtec crossover to around 5500-6000rpm, having said that this is usually done with an iab delete, this changes the characteristics of the car altogether though and makes it more like the usual vtec of very little power and then bang! off we go.

What does it feel like on the road?

Ah yes that makes sense, I've still got my iabs tho as had no idea you could delete them, wouldnt ya need a different ecu to do that through? The p28 or something?

Feels fantastic on the road, surges through the whole rev range very nicely. Still keen to try fine tune it more though lol

It was set quite low when i got the car and it had apparently been set up by civic cup lot. Me being curious and messed about with the controller and vtec ended up back at 4800. Now its back down again it feels more alive like when i bought it lol.

Yea id imagine the de-cat and mongoose would prob be helping a fair whack, not sure how much a lightened flywheel would have helped if any along with sports clutch.

Wouldnt mind banging in some better cams and seeing what happens then but dont think i could afford it sadly :/

• Like 1

Ah yes that makes sense, I've still got my iabs tho as had no idea you could delete them, wouldnt ya need a different ecu to do that through? The p28 or something?

Feels fantastic on the road, surges through the whole rev range very nicely. Still keen to try fine tune it more though lol

Yes, I think you probably would need a mappable ecu, to be honest it's a bit of a minefield and so many people say different things it's hard to know what's right.

It seems like you've got it right though, making good smooth power which transfers well to the tarmac. :D

Yea your right. The guy who done the work has done a fantastic job so I won't be changing much as long as she keeps running sweet.

Yea have heard so many different opinions on ecus maps etc I think I'll just give it a wide birth at the moment.

Defo leave it alone if it's good.

Must admit I have been a bit disappointed with swapping to a socket ed p28 and 200 quids worth of tuning.

It definitely has more poke than standard. But that could be a lot to do with putting it in a lighter car.

Great power figures mate!

Those mods you have done are similar to mine and my mb6 made 185bhp. So thats not far off expected power...which is good!

I had my car mapped at Triple H Performance (a few honda forums search reveals they are good). I had requested to have my vtec point set lower, as to have quicker vtec stepping in for overtaking etc. They said the best way is to have it come in, once, but at 5000rpm. I went with what they wanted as there the proffesionals..apparantly! It would make sense to me, to have vtec come in earlier to exploit more of the power...with the negative side effect of more fuel usage.