gear box help

camoturd

Hi guys sorry for the thread bump but I thought it'd be better than a new topic

I've got an MB3 on a V plate, 135k on the clock and when the clutch goes down mainly in 1st, 2nd and sometimes third there's a whirring sound as the clutch goes down as if something's still spinning, I've not noticed it before, It's not terrible yet and the clutch doesn't slip that I've noticed.

Would this be the release bearing would you suspect? If so how much of a pig is it to take to a garage for them to sort it?

I'd do it myself if the weather was going to be warmer but being less than mechanically minded and having no real friends to help me I don't have much in the way of choice but to chuck it at a garage 

Thanks in advance

id say it was gearbox related, i thought release bearing only tend to be noisy when not under pressure ie, neutral with thte clutch out and goes away when the clutch is pressed in

try that to see if its the release bearing

• Like 1

Ah ok, Mine's the opposite, It makes the whirring as it goes in.
It still seems to work ok without any huge issues apart from being stiff to get into first but if you put the clutch down, put it into 2nd to get it rolling then back into first it's fine again
It doesn't do it every time only the whirring :/

Cheers for the reply though it's appreciated :)

I had a well noisy box turned out it was all of the above lol it was still drivable wen we took it out even though it sounded like a machine gun lol but yeah pedal down with noise is release bearing n pedal up with noise equals gearbox normally have u tried changing the gbox oil n bleading the clutch it might help

@Jayhoath83 I'll be honest I've only had the car a month and I'm new to Honda's in general so I'm not exactly confident with them let alone understand them 

Is G/Box oil and clutch bleeding difficult as I understand the MB uses a Hydraulic clutch or does that make no odds?

I've not seen your car around Portsmouth I'm only down the road in Midhurst :)

It might do at about 4k if I launch from traffic lights (Only done it twice) it but apart from that it doesn't seem to no?

I don't tend to drive it that hard anyway I've normally got the Econo light on :D

Any recommendations on gearbox oil please? I can search if you'd prefer :)