gear box help

camoturd

Hi guys I am having heart attack due to a very bad noise that is coming from my gearbox/clutch release bearing need help to find out what I will need to change please.

Symptoms:

Noise when cluch is up and dies when clutch is pressed.

Makes noise after changing gears then disappears after a second or two.

Sprayed some oil in to clutch area and noise stopped.

What could it be either new Clutch kit or Gearbox

Forgot to say it a r reg mb3

i had a similar noise quite a while ago got a new clutch kit fitted and they found it was not the clutch but a bearing in the gearbox, may not be the same but possible.. 

The good news is i have since done over 30,000 miles with the box making that horrible noise and i can report that to this day nothing has happened and she has just kept going awaiting me to replace the box...

• Like 1

i had a similar noise quite a while ago got a new clutch kit fitted and they found it was not the clutch but a bearing in the gearbox, may not be the same but possible.. 

The good news is i have since done over 30,000 miles with the box making that horrible noise and i can report that to this day nothing has happened and she has just kept going awaiting me to replace the box...

My box after a decent run makes a noise but it's hard to hear at the minute, think it could be the beginnings of the main shaft baring wanting changing but its still working for the time being, gearbox will hopefully get sorted with mods after my holiday! 

• Like 1

Clutch up noise is likely from the box as release bearing kinda floats in limbo until you press the pedal.

I'm now on my 5th or so gearbox. It's started whining but I'm not rushing out to replace it. Wish I'd kept my original with noisy input shaft bearing :-(

Clutch up noise is likely from the box as release bearing kinda floats in limbo until you press the pedal.

I'm now on my 5th or so gearbox. It's started whining but I'm not rushing out to replace it. Wish I'd kept my original with noisy input shaft bearing :-(

Yeah that was a bit of a saga! What about getting it reconditioned?

Yeah maybe. But point I was trying to get across. If it's minor leave well alone until it becomes an issue imo. I rushed to replace box with slightly noisy bearing and no other issues. Ended up with more knackers boxes than I started with.

If I'd kept original box chances are it would be just the same now and still going strong.

So now I'm leaving well alone until it becomes an issue

thats some bad luck :-(