Butcher

Kwik Fit should drain and clean it for free. After all, they re-use the stuff they drain so it benefits them.

They don't at our local kwik fit. First place I called when wanted to remove air con. Was like 20 quid or theeeabouts

Just fitted a new heater resistor pack. And I cannot believe I waited 3 years to do it! 5 minute job. £7.50 for the pack from eBay. Now I don't have to have the fan blasting everywhere I go. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hmmm. Aircon isn't working very well.

I'm a bit puzzled by it. I'm not convinced it is any worse than the day it was gassed, so it at least seems to be holding something. In normal ambient temps it blows nice and chilled. Driving to work on a cool morning you can freeze yourself silly with it. But in the hot weather we've had recently it's a waste of time, blowing only very slightly cooler than you'd expect without aircon. It's barely noticeable.

At first I just put it down to Honda. As well built as they are, they're not the most refined cars, and not everything works as well as it could. So I'm wondering if it's just a bit crap by nature? (i.e. completely, and utterly useless for its intended purpose!)

Either that or it's lost some gas pretty quickly but retained the rest.

Or maybe a mechanical fault?

It makes a lot of noise since it was gassed (which it didn't do before). I assume this is the gas circulating from the pump or something. It comes from the passenger side of dash, where the resistor pack is. I don't know if this is normal, but it indicates to me that there's still gas in it. Still kinda hoping it's fixable really.  

It could be leaking but that should have been picked up on when it was charged as the machine needs a vacuum to do this. Unless it has developed since. Could be a number of things affecting the performance.