Butcher

That time of year again...

And whilst I love this weather, my Aerodeck is like a greenhouse. The aircon has never worked since I bought the car 3 years ago. It lights up, it blows (on settings 2,3 and 4 :-D )....and it blows warm :x

I'm of the understanding that generally speaking, if it is not used, the seals will perish over time, and re-gassing will be pointless? What I'm hoping is that you will tell me no, no...Civics are imperishable. In millions of years time they will be the only remaining evidence of our civilisation. Of course the aircon will work.

I'm guessing I'm being a bit optimistic though. Worst case scenario, is there an easy, and almost guaranteed, fix? Obviously I don't want to waste money gassing it, if it's just going to leak back out into the ozone. If it's not easy, or I'm likely to throw money away, then I can't be bothered to be honest. Would just be nice to have.      

Part of the process of gassing is to empty the system of any old stuff in there, it's also helps check the seals as it needs a vacuum for it to be emptied and refilled. It's at that point they can find out what the score will be. 

I think I will take it in and see what they say. Still a bit concerned about leaking - been doing a bit of research and it seems the machines won't always catch slower leaks. What's the Civic like for aircon in general - good? Bad? Any common faults I should be looking at first?  

From experience they're generally good! This is the first one I've had where it doesn't work but that's because the pulley on the pump is knackered and it threw the aux belt off, other than that I believe it just needs gassing!

Guest martin

I bought an ez chill regard kit from amazon (available from halfords at a premium) for £40 delivered and my aircon is now ice cold and before it did nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Had my aircon re-gassed on Monday (3 days ago now), and it's still blowing cold. So all is positive thus far - just hoping it stays that way!

Would maybe be nice to get setting 1 on the fan working now. I know there are topics about this already, but some of them seem out of date. Anyone know where I can get the parts needed to fix the fan control, or instructions on fixing it myself?

Thanks

You can see if it's pressurised by pressing in one of the valve in the engine bay. There's high and low pressure side. If you've got a leak on the system there will be little or no pressure