Rear calipers (what a surprise!)

Dougie

Ok so my passenger side rear brake is only using the inside of the disk, the outside pad isn't being used at all. I have heard some people say something about sliders but not sure where to start or what the "sliders acctually are.

Any suggestions?

Undo the two bolts holding caliper to carrier and where the bolts come out of they are the sliders. There's a rubber boot around them. Often they stick so pulling them out cleaning up and regressing will sort them

Ah ok, I didn't realise those were ment to move lol, thought they were just mounting bolts. I'll have a go at them when I can get some grease thanks dude

Btw, ive read about various reasons to avoid copper grease on brakes these just old wives tales or should I look for a synthetic alternative? Any suggestions?

Fair nuff I just keep seeing threads like this http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/archive/index.php?t-44119.html

Having read that I've just read this which seems to support what those people are saying and this is from the place who will be refurbishing my callipers.

http://www.brake-caliper-painting.com/brake_caliper_refurbishment-_rebuild-_repair_and_remanufacturing.html#.U4Wh8HJdWxo

How to stop your brakes squeaking

The squeaking which comes from braking systems is caused by vibrations which come from either the contact between the pads and discs OR the contact between the brake pads and pistons. Usually, this will happen within the first 1,000 miles of your pads being fitted.

When you fit new brake pads, you must use a heatproof silicone grease on the face of the pistons. Believe it or not a standard copper grease is not suitable as its difficult to avoid getting the grease on the piston dust-covers, being made of rubber this can make them perish eventually allowing moisture to get round the piston.  The silicone grease should be enough to dampen any vibrations between the pad and piston.

Bedding in new pads, when you fit discs & pads you must make sure you do plenty of intentional braking in the first few miles, try and pull in a few 'almost but not quite' emergency stops too. This is because when pressure is applied to the brake pedal and the pads are firmly pushed against the disc, they don't quite sit flat and flush, this can cause the brakes to squeak also.

Brakes squeak and they're not new discs & pads. This could be down to the piston seal which is becoming slightly perished losing an amount of flexibility. This causes the actual piston to vibrate against the pad no matter how much grease you apply to the back of the pads.

• Like 1