B18c4 missfire from cold start under load@ 2-3K

Guest jimbob738

I can imagine with the age of our cars anything changed for new will help even if that item doesn't cure the problem. But I'd like to hope something nice and easy would be the culprit!

Guest jimbob738

Yeah my thoughts exactly guys they are getting on a bit the are well engineered engines and out last your run of the mill stuff like fords, Vauxhalls just when they do go wrong there is that many electrical sensors its hard to diagnose especially with no ECU codes coming up.

I did unplug the Lambda sensor the other day to try it and it didn't do the jerking but then I went through about £10 of petrol in two trips so I guess it was stuck on choke the whole time pouring in £££££ of fuel for fun that's why I went and bought a new one.

who else with this problem is running a 2.5" decat like me im wondering if the exhaust gases are flowing so fast with it on that the ECU cant keep up with the condition changes when starting that and it takes longer with such a big bore pipe to build up velocity in the exhaust manifold (more commonly and wrongly known as back pressure)?????????

I might put my Cat back on and try it see if it stops the jerking, the standard ECU is programed with parameters in mind of the standard CAT or even the standard 2.25" bore adding half an inch might not look like much but in the combustion of fuel and releasing of gases it makes a massive difference especially when a computers constantly trying to correct the mix.

you see what I am saying would be interesting to know.

I've always said that when it comes to modifying, mapping is important, no point in giving the engine the means to take more air and fuel in if the ECU hasn't got any idea what to do with it.

Guest jimbob738

this is the first Honda ( I have had 4 previous) that I have used 2.5" pipe on and Mani cant say its helping the situation I have a tuned p72 that I have to one side the mapping is much more aggressive.

I tested it a while back but don't want to run that without dual valve springs and DC2 cams installed no point vtecing from 4.8k to 9K unless you wanna kill a valve spring the b18c4 standard gubbins would last 5 mins.

I have even removed my mongoose system and fitted a OEM JDM stainless DC2 b pipe (I got on ebay £20) and a supersprint back box that's closer to the standard bore to rule out the back pressure argument (that and the missus was moaning like fook about the drone) I am not sure which ones worse her moaning or the drone of a tail pipe rlol.gif1 .

but all that's done really is make in sound more raspy.

I always thought that by resetting the ecu it should take into account the new parameters, I.e. Exhaust gas flows, obviously it can't compare with being properly mapped but should make the necessary adjustment to run smoothly.

I always thought that by resetting the ecu it should take into account the new parameters, I.e. Exhaust gas flows, obviously it can't compare with being properly mapped but should make the necessary adjustment to run smoothly.

If it does but the problem is still there then there's a component causing the misfire...tangled web of stuff!

If it does but the problem is still there then there's a component causing the misfire...tangled web of stuff!

That's what I mean, if the ecu has been reset then changing back to the standard exhaust probably won't make a difference.

• Like 1

At that point it becomes a process of elimination or testing different components where possible, troubleshooting can sometimes be more of a pain that replacing the problem part!

At that point it becomes a process of elimination or testing different components where possible, troubleshooting can sometimes be more of a pain that replacing the problem part!

I think that's what Jamie's finding out! :(

I think that's what Jamie's finding out! :(

It's bloody annoying though! But like I said earlier, it's all ageing so anything original being replaced can only do good!