Poor fuel economy?

onejdmcivic1984

Ok I have a MB4 which has passed 155k on the clock and it has a induction kit and cold air feed (not my doing - came with car when purchased).

Put 30quid of Shell (VPower) fuel in (so I can get a Lego item for 1.99 lol) and its only lasted 5 days or so. I drive about 20 miles daily to and fro from work and 100milez seems pretty naff for 30quid of fuel? And I've used normally Shell Unleaded and its the same story.

Is the induction kit what's making me have poor fuel economy or is there other aspects of the car that could be changed to improve it? I do like it but spending 100 odd quid on fuel to get to work and bk is a killer

Same problem with my MB3. I think it's because of the cold weather, car takes a while to warm up and uses more fuel. Better avoid short journeys as the car won't be fully warmed up until you reach destination. May sound weird but having heater and headlights on uses more fuel for some reason. Also check if tyres are good.

I also installed new induction kit, whale p***s with brand new K&N filter, previously had stock. I gave it so much abuse for the first time just to show off my mates the induction noise and I surprisingly got 130 miles from £20, it's the best I got all this time I've had my car. I normally get 80 from £20. I don't understand how lol, I abused it and got more miles, if I drive calm, I get less miles. But then that was in beginning of November so I don't think it was cold enough. Now I'm back to getting 80 miles from £20 :( 

I thought it was the induction kit that was giving poor economy but seems that isn't the case. I drive around with headlights AND foglights - the latter cos I think they're cool being the larger rarer ones ;) but will switch them off if it means saving bit of fuel and making sure the 5-0 don't pull me over. Although I've driven past loads and they haven't flashed me or pulled me over.

In regards to heating I normally use the demister as this time of year the car inside tends to steam up in the front and rear windows. Would it be advisable then to start up car,demist windows (if necessary) and leave the car stationary till the engine is fully warmed up before setting off?

Also in regards to tyres I pump them up to 34 psi all round this time of year which I think is correct.

I thought it would be little things like changing spark plugs,oil filter etc

I try to drive in 4th gear most time and even 5th but since the gearing isn't great its always nosiy even in 5th gear. Could have done with a 6th gear tbh Honda :(

This isn't a problem and an induction kit doesn't drastically change the fuel economy ..

Its really cold ATM, which affects MPG quite a bit .. Its also massively down to driving style ..

Quick one, how much fuel in liters does 30 quid get you? Cos I'm sure vpower is a lot dearer than their fuel save...

This, you'll get fewer litres of V Power for £30 than the regular unleaded due to price difference. Also driving style affects mpg too.

Cold weather and short journeys are not very good for measuring fuel economy. Most accurate is top the fuel tank, drive ~60 miles with normal driving on the highway and then top the fuel tank again, preferably in warm weather. If after this journey the MPG is high than you have a problem. I never measure mpg in the city, too much variables.

It's not wise to use fogs, they produce bright light where you don't need it - very close to the front of the car. Your eyes focus on this bright light and loose visibility where you need it - up ahead. If your headlights are good enough fog lights are useless even in deep fog.