Black bar between door and window?

knightmaric

Hey all,

I've got 3 pictures of the black bar that's inbetween the door and the window on my MB2.

Basically the black seems to be peeling on the drivers side and cracking, and the metal beneath is showing signs of rust because of this.

It's just getting worse each day.

How do I take the bar off of the door?

I've not been able to figure it out properly because i've not had a lot of time to myself lately.

Because as soon as I know how i'll get a new/used one and replace it.

Here are some pics to show what it's like.

crack.jpg

crack2.jpg

crack3.jpg

They are hard to get off mate and usually end up breaking which is ok for the old units but it does mean 2nd hand ones are hard to find . plus new ones are £40 each :shock: . The way to get them off is wind the window down and roll the moulding towards you that will get all the clips off bar the one on the far left you will need to put a plastic filler slide each side of that clip and pust them together and it should come off . Rich.

I'll risk breaking the scrapyard ones if they cost that much xD

Thanks for the guide on how to do it =]

Will give it a shot when I can find a doner car.

Just wondering but you said to roll the mouldings back to show the clips, how to you get the actual clip off?

Do you just grab and pull the bar itself? Or get a set of pliars in there if they'll fit?

Thanks again =]

When you roll the mounlding towards you the clips will let go of the inside of the door frame but you will have the 1 clip on the left hand side as its a differant type of clip . Rich.

• 3 months later...

I just replaced the bar on the driver's door and was a piece of cake, thanks for the tip. However i have to point out that the "difficult clip" is on the right hand side of the bar, if you're working on the driver's door. I found this out the hard way, but in the end it didn't really matter at all since the old bar was so cracked up anyway.

After replacing the bar, the rear passenger's bar looked kind of crappy compared to the new smooth and shiny one, being a bit faded and full of tiny bumps caused by sun and heat i guess. So what i did was put some tape around the bar to protect the door metal and the windowglass, and then gave the bar some good polish with really fine sandpaper to get it smooth. After about 20 minutes of work, i cleaned off the dust carefully and gave it 3 good coats of Armorall semi-matt plastic protectant and boy did it looks so much better, blacker and newer. I recommend!

This is a question i have been meaning to ask since i had my arches done! Mine aren't as bad as yours but they will go like that eventually!

So did you get your replacement from a scrap yard? and how much did they cost you? Also im guessing the Rover / MG ones are the same?

I had another MB turn up at work so I just took it off that and swapped it with mine :P

It did take me a little while how to figure out how to do this correctly but it was well worth it.

I don't have that horrible peeling going on now :P

I had another MB turn up at work so I just took it off that and swapped it with mine :P

It did take me a little while how to figure out how to do this correctly but it was well worth it.

I don't have that horrible peeling going on now :P

Where do you work? Also if you get any more, i would be intrested in a set for mine

After replacing the bar, the rear passenger's bar looked kind of crappy compared to the new smooth and shiny one, being a bit faded and full of tiny bumps caused by sun and heat i guess. So what i did was put some tape around the bar to protect the door metal and the windowglass, and then gave the bar some good polish with really fine sandpaper to get it smooth. After about 20 minutes of work, i cleaned off the dust carefully and gave it 3 good coats of Armorall semi-matt plastic protectant and boy did it looks so much better, blacker and newer. I recommend!

...and after the first rainy day, it faded back to gray. Any tips on what to use to make the old bar stay black again?

Archived