Coolant leaking plus temperature going up and down

ammarbm

Question

I had a full service done on Saturday.. Also changed the thermostat and anti freeze as my car was taking too long to warm up.. One thing I noticed after the service was that the reservoir bottle was over filled with coolant.. The car drove fine and was warming up perfectly but I drive a bit far last night and drove upto 60mph.. When I got home I could see some smoke coming out by the headlights.. Parked up and looked underneath and the coolant was running down the manifold and dripping by there and that was causing smoke.. So I checked the coolant level in the bottle this morning before leaving for work and it was just below Max so it didn't lose too much.. I topped it up with water so it was on the Max level.. But when I was driving to work and went upto 60 the temperature started rising and went past the half way.. When I slowed down to 30 to 40 it would come back down to normal.. Needle kept moving between normal to over half way.. I can't go back to the mechanic till Friday as I am working 12 hours every day to then.. Any suggestion please and also is it ok to drive the car at slow speed like this as I need to drive to get to work.. It's 4 to 5 miles from my house

Got genuine one from Honda and the fitting was completely different.. The one from euro car parts kept falling out and the seal was slightly bigger than the space whereas Honda thermostat fitted perfectly as it was supposed to and didn't even wanna come out so no more leak :)

post-5349-0-90688300-1423219664_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Firstly mate, 4 miles to work .. Id walk .. 

Its probably an air lock issue by the sounds of it .. And the pressure of the air in the system is forcing itself out somewhere .. Perhaps by the thermostat if its not been sealed properly.

Either way, as you've had it done by a mechanic, there's not a lot of point looking into it, just take it back and let him sort it .. 

• Like 1

Yeah sounds like the mechanic has goofed up somewhere. Take it back and they'll sort it.

I did my own thermostat and anti-freeze service following a guide on here and nothing went wrong. Maybe link your mechanic to it? :P

Firstly mate, 4 miles to work .. Id walk .. 

Its probably an air lock issue by the sounds of it .. And the pressure of the air in the system is forcing itself out somewhere .. Perhaps by the thermostat if its not been sealed properly.

Either way, as you've had it done by a mechanic, there's not a lot of point looking into it, just take it back and let him sort it ..

I don't fancy walking at 6 am in freezing cold and then again at 7 pm.. That's why I have got a car mate lol ;)

Is it ok to drive till Friday like this though? He closes his garage by the time I finish

Yeah sounds like the mechanic has goofed up somewhere. Take it back and they'll sort it.

I did my own thermostat and anti-freeze service following a guide on here and nothing went wrong. Maybe link your mechanic to it? :P

Can you link that guide please..I can't find it

I don't fancy walking at 6 am in freezing cold and then again at 7 pm.. That's why I have got a car mate lol ;)

Is it ok to drive till Friday like this though? He closes his garage by the time I finish

Wuss, I've been doing that the last two years in all weathers :P:lol:

I would agree with Grant, sounds like an airlock forcing water back into the expansion tank. When it's warm, does the heater get hot in the car? Also worth checking the radiator pipes near the the dizzy, both should be warm.

But as it's been done at a garage, make them sort it! 

Pah !! I'm on the bike to the gym at 6.20 three mornings a week and then again 4 nights a week going down about 8.30 and coming home at 10 !! No excuse! 

I personally wouldnt drive it mate .. Over heating too far will feck your head gasket in the end ... 

• Like 1

Can you link that guide please..I can't find it

This is what I followed to make sure there was no air in my system: http://civic5.com/forum/topic/6013-how-to-fill-and-bleed-a-rad-the-awesome-way/

And to actually change the thermostat I actually followed this video, wasn't a guide from here like I thought I had.

I topped up the coolant in radiator last night before leaving from work and it drove fine.. The temperature stayed normal.. But the leak was still there when I got home.. I am gonna do the same again and take the car to him in my break.. Hopefully it will be sorted today.. He reckons the leak is by the thermostat.. Let's see.. I will update later