Coolant leaking plus temperature going up and down

ammarbm

Question

I had a full service done on Saturday.. Also changed the thermostat and anti freeze as my car was taking too long to warm up.. One thing I noticed after the service was that the reservoir bottle was over filled with coolant.. The car drove fine and was warming up perfectly but I drive a bit far last night and drove upto 60mph.. When I got home I could see some smoke coming out by the headlights.. Parked up and looked underneath and the coolant was running down the manifold and dripping by there and that was causing smoke.. So I checked the coolant level in the bottle this morning before leaving for work and it was just below Max so it didn't lose too much.. I topped it up with water so it was on the Max level.. But when I was driving to work and went upto 60 the temperature started rising and went past the half way.. When I slowed down to 30 to 40 it would come back down to normal.. Needle kept moving between normal to over half way.. I can't go back to the mechanic till Friday as I am working 12 hours every day to then.. Any suggestion please and also is it ok to drive the car at slow speed like this as I need to drive to get to work.. It's 4 to 5 miles from my house

It was the thermostat seal..It wasn't sitting in properly..He took it out and tried fitting in properly but still it was leaking.. Finally he used sealant around the seal and it stopped leaking..I topped up the radiator fully this morning and went for a drive and no drip plus temperature stayed nice and steady..car warmed up properly also..so hopefully that's the end of that chapter :)

• Like 1

Damn it.. This morning got to work and looked underneath.. It's leaking again but not as much as last time.. I think the crap thermostat from euro car parts just won't fit :(.. Fed up of this damn leak already..

Damn it.. This morning got to work and looked underneath.. It's leaking again but not as much as last time.. I think the crap thermostat from euro car parts just won't fit :(.. Fed up of this damn leak already..

If it is the thermostat, try a genuine Honda one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-GENUINE-THERMOSTAT-Honda-Civic-92-00-VTI-EG6-EK4-B16A2-Integra-DC2-B18C-/291298981461?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43d2c5b655

I was going to buy from their website direct but I just wanted to confirm this would definitely fit in mine.Also ordering timing belt kit and water pump from them.