B18C4 MB6 intermittent power/rev/stall issues

stapi

no problem at all, it's what we're here for ;) let us know how you get on though, will be intereting to see what the culprate was for future ref 8-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing yet mate, I was away for a while so didn’t really do much. I have tried old spark plugs and checked/cleaned the distributor but issue is still there. I have been to Honda garage yesterday to get 2 of them threaded spikes that you bolt on the rocker cover/spark plug cover with – that I managed to break last weekend… they have advised to check/adjust the tappets as that can be the cause as well. I have asked how much they would charge to check out the car – was informed that its £45, if I remember correctly, but as the issue is so intermittent and not there all the time I’m a bit skeptic…

I still have to check/replace the oxygen sensor so I guess that will be the next step for now. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks, Mike

well i actually thought it was the throttle position sensor, changed that, but no luck, so you can rule that out, i also cleaned out the throttle and iacv valve, again still the same.

i had a feeling it could be the coolant temp sensor, as mine usually only happens when it just reaches the optimum temp, get the problem for about 20 seconds, then everything is fine.

i had a post up before about this issue and adam advised me it could be the base idle that i need adjusting, at the time i didn't think it was that, but now i'm swinging towards that idea, the thing is he advised to get the base idle done from honda themselves, but i am not in a good enough situation financially to try the dealers, lol

now when i think about it, it does happen more often when i start driving, when it reaches the optimum temp, but not only then, sometimes it does happen after lets say an hour of driving... but... before the problem started, my coolant was leaking from one of the hoses (broken clamp at the bottom of the radiator), which is now sorted out, but i guess it might have caused some problems with the sensor - definitely worth checking, thanks for a hint.

and my theory went down the toilet as on the way back from work it did it on the cold engine as well. still worth checking though as i believe the sensor is not that expensive

lol, thats exactly whats happened to my car, coolant leaking from the bottom of radiator due to the clamp being broken, i just had it all flushed out with some good quality red coolant :x

so you think it has something to do with this then???

Possibly, one of the mechanics I was talking to, not knowing about the leaking coolant, mentioned that possible reason is that ECU gets wrong temperature readings causing the problem. The funny thing is that the more people I’m talking to the more possible causes I get ;) but definitely worth checking out. Actually I think I will do it this weekend and will let you know.

Thanks for the link mate, I just gave my local auto store a call and they can get one for £12 for me so I will pick it up today and, if its easy enough, will swap it around tonight. Will keep you updated.

Archived