B18C4 MB6 intermittent power/rev/stall issues

stapi

Hello All

For last couple of days I have a intermittent problem with my car, for no apparent reason it acts all crazy at random rev ranges (mostly 2-4k). Problem seems like the engine is not getting enough fuel or air or something… so basically you put your foot down but the car doesn't want to go… (sorry for lame explanation of the problem) I have fitted a long arm AEM intake system about a month ago so I don't really suspect air delivery problem as it was working perfectly fine after fitting it. Also have replaced the fuel filter yesterday but issue still remains. I have a full straight through exhaust system so I don't suspect any issues with that either. Additionally most of the time engine runs fine, revs all they way to redline without any problems, but sometime revs on idle go quite low (600-700). I have also reset the ECU every time I changed something by unplugging negative battery cable. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions what to check next or know a decent place in Birmingham where I can have it checked?

Thanks, Mike

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for quick response mate.

Unfortunately it doesn’t give any error messages. I have replaced spark plugs a month ago as well for Denso Iridium and have also checked them yesterday along with the cables, but cables don’t look like they have been changed recently (or ever) so I think that may be reasonable to swap them as well. Is there any easy way to check dizzy without some fancy equipment?

What mileage is on the car because the O2 sensor plays a big parts in how the car runs. My car had running issues and it had done 102k and changing the original O2 sensor fixed it.

Not too sure if there is any fancy way to check the dizzy. The cap and arm are cheap enough to replace on their own. Also swap leads if possible rather than buy a new set as it may not be the leads.

Thank you very much for you help mate.

It's 120k on the clock now. Which one is the o2 sensor - is that the IAT sensor on the intake manifold? Stuff like cap and arm and the o2 sensor will need to get from dealership or should i look for some replacement or second handed ones? I am asking because i know that parts for this model are not that easy to come by... although i know a guy who brakes them for parts and should have most of it. do you possibly know, roughly, what kind of prices am I looking at?

The o2 (oxygen sensor or lamda sensor) is fitted to your exhaust bud, just before the Cat, and i would strongly advise you buy genuine as non gen ones tend to last no time at all, not worth the hassle. TBH, you normally get a EML on if there is a problem with the oxy sensor...... :?

that was my second guess ;) I'm just going through the service manual and it looks like it should show some diagnostic code if there was problem with it but I guess it may be worth to give it a shot... although im also kinda suspecting distributor

really difficult to say Mike, without seeing the car. You say it has an a/m inductionkit fitted, so maybe have a check to make sure none of the pipes have come loose or off altogether, as this could affect the air going in. Sounds ver much like it could be an HT lead breaking down. Does it do it at any specific time, ie: only when engines cold, or only when engines up to temp? Or is it there all the time?

I agree with you jalesi on the EML but on my ATR I did not get an EML but the O2 sensor was b****red. I tend not to rely on EML codes all the time.

I have checked the induction kit as well as that was one of the first things I suspected, but it all looks ok. problems seems very intermittent, I have only noticed that on the warm engine as I don’t tend to drive while cold and I can’t reproduce the problem while on neutral, without a load. And then again, at the times it runs perfectly fine, although I kinda think it has less power now but that can only be my paranoia ;) I have checked some troubleshooting guidelines for the distributor in the service manual so I guess I will try that tonight and maybe try to get some leads to swap around tomorrow, if no luck will probably go for that o2 sensor. Thank you guys for all your help, I know its very difficult to diagnose something you cannot see, much appreciated!

Archived