Handbrake help needed - rear callipers

Butcher

Got them off eventually. Looked at every how-to going, tried an impact driver, tried bashing it with a screwdriver, tried bashing it with a nail punch. After hours of trying I got the drill out and the discs were off in 10 minutes. 

And to top it off I'm coming down with some sort of illness, so spent half the weekend under the car, in the snow, feeling feverish! Might write some more about it when I can be bothered. For now I have new discs, and the handbrake is marginally better - managed to free up the stuck caliper and balanced the cables - but you still have to pull the handbrake just about as hard as you can to stop on a steep 15%ish gradient.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I am having some similar issues with my handbrake.

My OSR calliper is new and the NSR was rebuilt. (Long story, but thats how it now sits.)

New discs and pads not too long ago. (Circa 3000 miles ago).

I had both callipers off at the time and made sure all adjustments were made correctly and bled the system.

Handbrake cables were replaced 2years ago.

Know my handbrake performance has been very bad recently. Looked at the adjuster in the car and the NSR cable had a lot more slack than the OSR. With handbrake fully applied, it would also not lock the wheel. (Handbrake made no difference to force required to rotate wheel.

To try and save myself from buying a new calliper (as I recently refurbed it with new seals and piston), I am thinking the reason handbrake is non-effective on NSR is the spring???

Bigg Red have said they can supply a spring on its own.

Has anyone done this? Spring easy / difficult to fit?

Is this likely to fix the problem, or could it be an issue inside the calliper itself?

I assume the spring simply works a plate that pushes the brake fluid and applies the brake???

Thanks