MG ZS steering rack, worth it ?

EmZvr

I really wanted one but after I researched a bit I'm not so sure any more.. But my steering rack started leaking recently and I need your advice. A little comparison:

Civic MB3
Overall ratio 17.1
Lock-to-lock 3.48

Civic MB6
Overall ratio 17.5
Lock-to-lock 3.23

MG ZS
Overall ratio 16.4 (not verified number)
Lock-to-lock 2.5

I don't know how to interpret "overall ratio" but the lock-to-lock is a problem. According to MG ZS owners it has a horrible turning radius. A guy in the mg-rover forum even said it is more difficult to maneuver than a bus :D If I understand correctly MG limited the front wheels movement because it has big wheels and otherwise the wheels would rub. So the rack is faster but at full lock my wheels will be less turned than my current steering rack.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Maybe just get an MB6 rack and a smaller steering wheel so it feels faster? The turning circle on an MB isn't amazing in the first place, I can't imagine how bad the MG must be. :lol:

Okay, I'm scratching this out of my mods wishlist. Just wanted to hear your thoughts. The idea was a faster rack.

Smaller steering wheel sounds nice but I want my airbag.

Okay, I'm scratching this out of my mods wishlist. Just wanted to hear your thoughts. The idea was a faster rack.

Smaller steering wheel sounds nice but I want my airbag.

Good news! '96 Integra Type R steering wheel has an airbag and fits our cars. :)

I already have an ITR steering wheel. But it's the normal version, not the Momo one. I didn't know it was smaller than the stock wheel. Or is it only the Momo version that is smaller?

• 1 month later...