Question: Skunk2 intake / ITR Cams

Viltor

Hello everyone,

I have a lil question. The b18c4 has dual springs on the intake side and single springs on the exhaust side right ?

My question is, at this moment my car has K&N, tri y header and 60mm external catback. I wanted to buy a skunk2 intake manifold but most of people says if we dont remap it we will lose power. is it true ?

Another question is, to fit ITR cams on b18c4 do I need to upgrade the single valves to dual valve springs on the exhaust side and retainers or I could just drop the ITR cams and it will be ok ?

Thanks

Don't think you'd loose power as such. You would likely end up with a flat spot somewhere in the Rev range where fueling allows for the iab butterflies on the stock intake manifold.

And yes you can install the cams onto the standard valve springs. You will simply need to keep the Rev limit conservative. Say around 8500rpm maximum.

If you were to install dual valve springs on the exhaust side also. You could happily raise the Rev limit to say 9000rpm. And make a few more hp.

• Like 2

Hi KiNK43,

Thanks for your replie. So im thinking in the future to get the intake and get a p28 or p30 and chip it with a b18c4 map and raise the vtec to 5500 rpm. If I will get the cams and stay with the stock rev limiter 8500-8600 its safe with ITR cams and the stock valve train, only if i want to rev higher i will need to upgrade my valve train right ? Thanks

The stock intake manifold is quite restrictive in its design narrow runners and the whole butterfly assemble is interfering. I think to see a decent gain from ITR cams you would want a decent aftermarket IM.

An ITR throttle body is larger that c4s and obviously ITR has short single runner IM.

• Like 1

@Viltor

Yes as long as the Rev limit is kept near stock it will be fine.

But I wouldnt recommend installing IM and cams until you have your ecu and are going to get the car tuned.

Will save disappointment. Ya dont want to spend all that and then have flat spots and an inefficient motor.

And also for safety. Wouldnt risk it not running right.

Make sure you reset the valve clearness as well after fitting cams.

As above keep standard until you have an ecu and then map accordingly with your set up 

my car runs crap on p9k ecu with sk2 inlet and sk2 Tuner 1 cams the vtec comes in Way to early and takes forever to change then just crap later ..

think I have around 5200 and 9000k max rpm on obd1 socketed ecu  and  although runs a little rich at stage 1 vtec, is very drivable through to high rpm on stage 2 vtec ,don't use  the 9k rpm,  its probably an "R" base map tweeked 8600 is good for my set up,The R cams are peaky cams so designed for and using a higher CR compared with mine so I have not changed valve springs

P9k used for MOT reasons and is 100% on the above inlet/cams<apart from decat swap out> :idea: