Slam panel bent whilst jacking car up

Guest Nate

Question

Please help I have no idea what just happened, I think I may have screwed up my mates car but I don't understand how this happened. I jacked the car up from middle jack point and took off bumper and crash bar so to change headlights and driver side wing. I first changed passenger side headlight then had to jack the car a bit more to get more space to change the wing as I couldn't see the plastic screws that hold wheel splash guard. When I got up after using the jack, I noticed the slam panel has gotten bent from bottom. The radiator and AC are not secure and the top area where bonnet mechanism is got slightly bent. There is a gap when bonnet is closed and you don't hear that clink noise when bonnet handle is pulled.

I have no idea how this happened as I've jacked both my MB civics up from middle numerous times with no problem so I was feeling confident I could work on my mates car but now he's not happy and insists I screwed up. I am thinking it may have happened because I had the crash bar off which probably makes the slam panel weaker but I don't know really. When he brought the car to me, there was quite a gap from one side ob bonnet when closed and also a gap between bumper and crash bar. The plastic fixings that mount onto bumper to crash bar wouldn't have gone in due to gap. Could it be his car was already damaged or have I screwed it up? The only damage there was when he brought to me was a graze on the wing and two top taps for driver side headlights and were broken.

3 answers to this question

It's possible the car may already have had damage if things weren't lining up properly to begin with.  I have never used any jacking points at the front, always the ones on the side (wasn't aware there were proper jack points on the front). Did you position the jack on the chassis leg or on the actual slam panel\front valance itself? I wouldn't have thought the valance was strong enough to support the car on.

• Like 1