MB6 Rear wheel bearing

Guest Chris Rox

Question

Guest Chris Rox

Hi guys, wheel bearing problem :sad:

Decided it would be a good idea to drive on to a beach the other day. It was hard wet sand and just a tiny bit of soft dry sand.

Anyway.

The bearing on the left rear already sounded noisey before but since coming off the beach it has gotten a lot louder and almost sounds like a worn disc/pad situation with a warped disc.

I though bearings were sealed so am I being stupid and this has definitely made it worse? What's the worst situation, how long can I put off changing the bearing  (they aren't bloomin cheap!)

And as with eveything on the MB6, it's really hard to be sure I'm buying a suitable part. I've noticed Euro Car Parts have 2 bearings at 2 different prices but have also read somewhere else that the more expensive doesn't even fit!

What is the correct bearing to buy and where is the best place to purchase said bearing. I'm wary of using eBay for this as there seems to be a few different options for bearings!

As per usual any help will be much appreciated guys!

Thanks.

Ive never experienced a problem buying hubs just make sure it's 4x114 and abs compatible for mb6/mc2. 

Suppose it's possible that sand has got in. Unlikely but if a seal were bad at the back side. Possibly brakes need a clean up and regrease. 

It might be worth jacking up and checking for play in the hub side to side to give an indication of how worn it is and also whether or not that one side is excessively hot after a drive compared to the other side 

Guest Chris Rox

I noticed that the noisy side was heating up and I thought that the brake caliper was seizing and getting stuck on. I didn't realise a failing bearing would cause that much heat. Thanks for the quick response.

Where would you recommend purchasing the bearing from? Is it something I could do in the drive? Is it a simple enough process?

Guest Chris Rox

I have found this website but as you can see from the link there are several choices ranging massively in prices!

http://m.buycarparts.co.uk/honda/civic-vi-fastback-ma-mb/7818/10679/wheel-bearing

I'm worried about buying the wrong part so can anyone recommend the right thing off that list or am I not even looking at the right part?

As you can see there is a SNR Wheel Bearing Kit with 61% off which seems appealing! Are there MB6 with drum brakes?

For clarification mine is an 1999 MB6 VTi with disc brakes and ABS and a B18C4 engine.

As always any help is greatly appreciated guys!

Have you not got a local parts place you can buy from? 

Fitting is quite straight forward.

Calioer, carrier and discuss off. Cover off centre of hub. 32mm nut to remove.  Pull the hub off and replace. I have had one on an Ep civic that needed some heat to get the hub off. But otherwise simple.

Guest Chris Rox

£155 from the local motor factors and they have to order it in too. :sad:

I can't understand why some are only  £85 odd though!

Are there bearings with different "bits" that come with them and could that explain the difference in price?

I just want to make sure I get the right flippin one lol.

Guest Chris Rox
On 09/15/2016 at 8:52 PM, burbleboy said:

I've bought two rear ones from ebay for around £80. They did me fine, especially upwards of 140mph.....allegedly ;) 

Can you point me in the direction of the seller and page please mate? That would be a great help!

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Guest Chris Rox said:

Can you point me in the direction of the seller and page please mate? That would be a great help!

Cheers.

There are very few sellers on eBay just now. I went with a seller that advertised warranty with the part.

The aerodeck rear hub is different from the hatch model I believe. Must be something to do with the abs ring as the deck is as heavy as a tank (looks the same too!)

Try this one;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270430089442