Weird "watery" sound coming from intake manifold on cold start.

Guest Chris Rox

Question

Guest Chris Rox

Hi guys, me again.

Recently my engine (B28C4) has been making this strange noise on cold start.

It's coming from the intake manifold and it goes away after the engine warms up a bit.

Sounds very similar to a radiator filling up with water or kinda like a chain going round a cog that's covered in oil, I'm afraid that's the only way I could describe it.

Any ideas guys as I'm worried that it's the start of something severe and I'd rather address it now than just wait and wait.

Cheers.

7 answers to this question

You have an IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) and FITV (Fast Idle Thermo Valve), there is a gasket that fits in between several of these components, the water from block reaches it and warms the air as far as I remember from Uni! The gasket might have broken down and letting water through, then you're sucking water into the engine. If you pull it off you should be able to find the leak!

double check there is no water in oil and vice-versa, that would/could be a head gasket or water pump issue 

Edited by Finch

Guest Chris Rox
On 09/29/2016 at 11:14 AM, Finch said:

You have an IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) and FITV (Fast Idle Thermo Valve), there is a gasket that fits in between several of these components, the water from block reaches it and warms the air as far as I remember from Uni! The gasket might have broken down and letting water through, then you're sucking water into the engine. If you pull it off you should be able to find the leak!

double check there is no water in oil and vice-versa, that would/could be a head gasket or water pump issue 

Is this dangerous if left unattended or will it just be annoying?

I'm not a mechanic and I've not got a lot of money to fix things that aren't terminal.

I'm lucky to have been left my MB6 so I'm trying to look after it as best I can.

Thanks for the help guys :smile:

13 hours ago, Guest Chris Rox said:

Is this dangerous if left unattended or will it just be annoying?

I'm not a mechanic and I've not got a lot of money to fix things that aren't terminal.

I'm lucky to have been left my MB6 so I'm trying to look after it as best I can.

Thanks for the help guys

well it depends on what it is!

if its IACV etc on throttle body/intake its not good for the internals, nor power! You're sucking in water into your combustion chamber! and with a half decent set of sockets and a tube of RTV from a motor factors can be fixed. One way to test is get the car running (idle) and spray water on the throttle body area with something that will do a fairly fine mist (like those hand pump garden sprayers), if the car bogs down (hear the engine audibly change it means there is a vacuum leak and its pulling water (and air) in through the crack in a gasket around the iacv etc about half hour, a razor blade and a tube of rtv and you're good. I'd allow the car to sit over night when curing sealant though! Ensures nothing is sucked in you don't want!

Is there any murky/oil in the water or creamy looking oil cap? This could be head gasket

If it is a headgasket or water pump you're going to need either a mechanic, now this can be £50-500 depending where you go! (Might be better to ask local say on Facebook?) or a decent tool kit, a torque wrench, the kit, a good amount on research and about 2-3 days. People say 'only takes a couple hours' forgetting its your first time or the amount of sh*t Honda bolted on to our engines!!

Guest Chris Rox

Turns out the weird watery sound was to do with the oil level all along. Still can't pin point where it was coming from but it seems to have been fixed with an oil top up.

• Like 1