Oil cooler install help

Vtisgilman

Hello folks. 

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to fit my oil cooler. I have the cooler mounted and everything I need to do the job and also plumb in all my gauges aswell. I'm using a thermostatic mocal sandwich plate to feed the cooler but there doesn't seem to be any room to mount it. Iv seen plenty of install guides and videos of doing it and no one seem to have trouble fitting the plat. But on the b18c4 there just seems to be no room around it. You can get the plate on but there is no room for fittings and the hoses to go. There seem to be more hoses and random lines on the back of a b18c4 block than any other engine from pics iv seen. Has anyone else managed to fit one and how did they do it? 

Thanks 

• 7 months later...

Hi George,

I'm in the same possition as you are right now. How did you've achieved it to mount it properly? What I've done for now is used a 2nd sandwichplate which i've already had, an placed that one on the other one, so there was any room to mount the oilinglines to the cooler. I've still have a leak, which for some reason cannot be found where it's from. 

I'm familiar with this issue. I temporarily ran another sandwich plate behind the thermostat. But settled on using a Chinese thermostat with 4 connections 2 on the side like mocal and 2 at an angle. Don't be put of was made nicely and worked fine. This one to be precise...

download.jpeg

• 2 months later...

An update on my install. I'm still running the 2 sandwich plates. I've had a leak around the sensors I've had installed (oilpressure, oil temp before the cooler, oil temp after the cooler). 

so I've used som eteflon tape to stop the leaking. Works like a charm now! 

Glad to hear you sorted it mate. To be honest I never got round to fitting my cooler. I have all the parts waiting to go on but a gearbox rebuild and suspension restoration took priority. Iv still not decided how to install my plate yet. Iv found some hydrilic fittings that are very small with a tight elbow so they may fit where the normal fittings won't. That way I can use my mocal plate. That or I'm going to get the one KiNK43 recommend as that looks like a tidier install. I wouldn't risk the stacked plates on my car as it's a track car with solid engine mounts so it would need to withstand a lot of vibrations and stress. Iv also got my oil temp and pressure gauges plumbed in at separate locations so won't need to tap the plate for them. When I finally get round to doing it I'll let you know what I did. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:04 PM, Vtisgilman said:

KiNK43 when you fitted that sandwich plate did you have to get a smaller filter or did it clear the angled ports? 

I used a k and n filter. Purely preference not because it was all that fitted. Dont think there will be a clearance issue using any slim filter like hamp or whatever.

I've used this sandwich plate from D1 (picture 1), and it didn't even cleared the coollant pipe which runs at the rear of the engine, under the intake(picture 2)

#1image.png.37ea4f0762911a69b81059cb8dac6e05.png#2image.png.5a923724cb0ed8752deb9946815bf049.png

• 1 year later...

Just a heads up. Relocated my oilcooler after install of the turbo. From the front of the radiator, to the right side where the ac should have sat. I've run the oil feed lines on the side of the powersteering pump. Still need to tidy it up with some nice brackets, which will be made in the near future.

Oilcooler 1.PNG

Oilcooler 2.PNG

Oilcooler 3.PNG

• Like 3