Replacement Sills

AJCivic

Question

Another MOT fail due to bad rust and holes appearing underneath the car.

I was wondering if replacement sill pieces are available for these Civics and the Rover/MG's too? I'm sure I've seen them for sale in the past. The guy who is hopefully doing the welding was wondering about that rather than patching everything.

I had the jacking point & sill at one side repaired last year and the rest of the sills didn't look all that bad. But this year (plus 6 months due to Covid) that same area has a big hole on the inner sill side, they've got areas at both sides halfway down where they're literally starting to crumble, big chunks were so weak they've been able to be pulled off, as well as that both rear arches have got holes in.

Not going well for the MB which I'd love to save but don't want to pay out for welding every year. :-(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Scuse the messy welds, I was still learning when I started that job and it only needed to be functional for me not pretty.

Hope the photos are helpful.

the repair panel comes up to the door kick plate so will need chopping down depending on the level of rot. The bottom is originally spot welded to the sill, I ended up using a combination of spot welds and rivets as it's all covered up with the plastic covers. Would advise maybe getting the rear quarter panel too and addressing any issues whilst your heads in there.

20200906_155058.jpg.275f7e2495569ccd3df587943532e963.jpg20200911_164752.thumb.jpg.50ec664c76519bce5e28a388d6845a3b.jpg

Had to fab up a patch for the back of the sill but it's just a flat panel20200906_155158.jpg.4252ebb9892b9b1bd1c485ba336e5747.jpg20200912_172948.jpg.dec69912bed8b811c15d88acde6f31a8.jpg20200912_173016_Richtone(HDR).jpg.a5e2701fd91e5df49ef27a6964db3c3f.jpg20200919_155512_Richtone(HDR).jpg.0e7c95ec732856bbea6e957fe220cbe2.jpg

• Like 2

Guest Jocky2k
3 hours ago, robali123 said:

Yeh I got one last year. Think it took a few days to a week to arrive. Decent looking steel, hard to explain what part it covers but it's basically the outward facing part of the sill, not the underside. I only used about 200mm of the length for one side, looks to be reversible so you could use one panel for both sides depending on how much has rotted out. I'll try and find the photos of mine before and after

Thanks that would be helpful. I've got to do the underside part that the skirt attaches to underneath. Thought I'd got all the gremlins from the past owner but must of missed some. He used silicone sealant in the drain holes so when I got it they were shot. Plus my cars been laid up for all of the lockdown only new I had rust again when it went for mot. 

Didn't realise you'd already sent the pics bud. Thank you. Its the other bit of the sill I need. But I think they had them as well. Just need to save the pennies now as trying to buy a house at same time as fixing car not the best idea I've had lol. Can do everything else but welding and I just don't get on. Pigeon sh*t comes to mind lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jocky2k said:

Didn't realise you'd already sent the pics bud. Thank you. Its the other bit of the sill I need. But I think they had them as well. Just need to save the pennies now as trying to buy a house at same time as fixing car not the best idea I've had lol. Can do everything else but welding and I just don't get on. Pigeon sh*t comes to mind lol. 

No prob. Good luck with it. shouldn't be too difficult to cut some patches out for the underside, it's a bit thicker than the side panels if I remember correctly so easier to weld to.

I've just upgraded to a deck but haven't had the plastic trim off to inspect the sills yet...saving that potential fun for when the weathers more reliable