Replacement Sills

AJCivic

Question

Another MOT fail due to bad rust and holes appearing underneath the car.

I was wondering if replacement sill pieces are available for these Civics and the Rover/MG's too? I'm sure I've seen them for sale in the past. The guy who is hopefully doing the welding was wondering about that rather than patching everything.

I had the jacking point & sill at one side repaired last year and the rest of the sills didn't look all that bad. But this year (plus 6 months due to Covid) that same area has a big hole on the inner sill side, they've got areas at both sides halfway down where they're literally starting to crumble, big chunks were so weak they've been able to be pulled off, as well as that both rear arches have got holes in.

Not going well for the MB which I'd love to save but don't want to pay out for welding every year. :-(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah unfortunately it's the lower/inner sills that's the problem. Both sides. And that's where I'm struggling to find somebody to take it on. Will welding a patch that long be possible? I really doubt any replacement pieces are available except from cutting a piece from a car with decent sills?

The O/S outer sill has rusted through right at the back as you can see in the photo, as well as the rear arches needing patching but they're not huge holes to be honest. 

Going to try and speak to the welder again tomorrow to ask if he can't patch it, and try a couple of different options if not. 

Might be a bit of a long shot, but this seller has lots of sill repair parts for different civics (no mb ones listed), and also sells rear wheel arch repair panels for ma/mb civics. Might be worth giving them a message to see if they can help? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273993503384

I might do that mate thanks. Found some panels that are made for a rover 400 but I think it's the old shape. 

Called around a few places today and ended up speaking to the first guy again, he's going to give it a go and make up some new sill pieces. applause.gif1Fingers crossed it all goes well from now on and there's enough decent metal still there to work. 

Now I've got to go about taking the interior out ready for it, good excuse to hoover in and around seats though. 

• Like 2

That's good news mate. Hope it goes okay. 

I wonder how we can raise the profile of the market for after market spares for these cars... It's getting harder to find parts if they aren't ones shared with eg/dc2. 

@Dave  do you have any ideas? 

• Like 1

@dr_broon Not really sure tbh mate. Because our cars have a very small fan base, manufacturers will see that as a reason for not doing it. For the amount of tooling etc that goes into making parts fit a car the cost would outweigh what they would make back. This is even more so for body panels as the tooling for that is probably no longer available. Sure, as time goes on and these do get fully recognized as modern classics (which they should be by now), we might see some parts being re-manufactured, but again, with the limited market, those parts are gonna be pretty expensive.

We did have MeisterR making coilover susupension specific to our Civic M's, but we had more fans interested in buying them a while back. They don't even offer group buy discounts now, which puts me right off them as having them as traders they were supposed to offer some  discount to members, but they won't. Hence the traders section has been removed from the forum. If traders/companies want to advertise on here, they need to offer our members something in return. We won't let them use our site for advertising free of charge, has to be something in it for the members.

On the MeisterRs, I suppose there wasn't much tooling involved as they had a ready made product. All they had to do was make the top mounts and add a set of springs that were rated for our cars and job done.

No point contacting Honda again as we've had nada from them in the past, and they wont want to be seen supporting "polluting cars" when they are trying to move forward on the EV front. Expressed panels, we could see if they would start remaking pattern panels (although we all know how pattern panels fit!) but again will depend on tooling.

Tough times for our civics indeed, but if anyone has any suggestions on companies they think might be interested in helping us out please let us know.

(wish I'd bought those new old stock complete rear side panels/arches (included the area around rear side window all the way up to the roof!) for the aerodecks. There were loads of them on ebay for like £120 a panel...........would love to have a stock of those sitting waiting i can tell you!

• Like 1

Yeah, I hear what you say, but you can buy more body parts for an Austin montego than you can for an M. :grin:

There's the rover / MG cross over on stuff as well that should improve things. 

I dunno though... Maybe things will improve now there's less of them being broken with decent 2nd hand options. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, maybe we should have been buying up the rusty ones and stripping them so we have a stock of spares a few years back when they were going for buttons. I didn't have the time nor space back then, although probably got enough space now although think Gayle would have a fit if i was to buy in cars and strip em in the garden. Would like to get a hold of some spares though, maybe i'll see if its possible to try and do something with the carport next to the garage. It needs to come down anyways and I was gonna build a new one, maybe I'll see if i can store some spares in that.

I think you're right with this, the MB's still get no love from most people but it's not like there's any 3 door 90's Civics still around for sale, they've more or less disappeared aside from a couple that pop up for every now and then for high prices. 

Been on with taking out the interior for the last couple of days but I'm not a fan of those lower seatbelt bolts, they go right through the sill(?!) and therefore suffer the same problem, they're rusty as f**k! Not been able to take them out yet to get the carpet up. 

I can only see them because of the holes on the sills, and while they're still holding strong, the passenger side one has a lot of rust not only on the bolt but surrounding it too, could be something else to speak to the welder about, but he's going to struggle to get access to that. 

Does anybody know if I'd have to take the plastic trim from the side of the rear doors out? I didn't have to remove that last time when the outer sill was welded, and that's all that's needed this time on one side.