New member looking for a 2001 Y Reg MB Civic

YRegMB

Greetings from a new member in London. It's good to know there are others interested in these cars. I have always liked the look of these. In my opinion, both the exterior and interior look a lot better designed than similar cars of the same era. I also know that the engines are extremely dependable if maintained.

I live inside the area where the London Ultra-low Emissions Zone is due to be extended out to in Oct 2021. Unfortunately my current non-Honda car will not comply with this zone as it is too old. The age limit is after 1st March 2001 for petrols and after 2017 for Diesels.

I am looking for an MB Civic on a Y Plate (after 1st March 2001) as that is the only reg that is new enough to comply with the ULEZ rules.

I know there are a few out there as I have seen some for sale and on the road, but not many. So far, all that I have seen on Y plates have been the 1.4 Sport model with a manual gearbox. There are also some Aerodecks around on Y Plates.

I regularly check ebay to try to track one down, but have not yet come across a decent one located near enough. I did go to have a look at one but was put off due to rust around the driver's side rear wheel arch.

Hopefully I am able to eventually find the right one.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. The Y Plated ones must have been the very last as they were already selling the 7th Gen on X Plates.

Am I right that the 1.4 Sport model was only called "sport" due to the spoiler, alloy wheels and half leather seats?

I have an original Year 2000 sales brochure, and it does not appear that the so-called 1.4 Sport version offers any extra performance.

I have read that the 1.4 version was apparently quicker, while the 1.6 was more economical. Is there any truth to that?

There is a black Y Plated 2001 MB on ebay at the moment with some questionable cosmetic mods (apologies if it belongs to anyone here). The mods could probably be removed but it also has an expired MOT.

• Like 1

So, the way I understand it is that most civic M's were only made up to 1999 - I've just double checked on lings https://www.lingshondaparts.com/partscatalog/catalog/select/catalog/hondacars/method/model/

And it looks like the only aerodeck made in 2000 was mc3 (diesel) and for the hatch it was the mb7 (also diesel I think?), so any late regs must have been registered later than manufacture - my deck was a 99 reg, but was a 98 model. 

• Like 1

Here are a few that I have seen on ebay over the last few years that I saved the photos. The black hatch was just outside London but sold before I could go and look at it.

Both of these now come up as "vehicle details could not be found" when the plates are entered into the DVLA tax checker. This means that both have presumably since been scrapped.

civic.jpg

aerodeck.jpg

• Like 1

I hope you manage to find one chief.. It's a tough thing with these low emissions zones. They were looking to bring one into Newcastle where I work. I cycle to work (when I used to go to the office that is) so from that point of view would be nice to not be inhaling early morning diesel fumes on a cold day when the mixture is rich, but from the point of view of driving, wasn't looking forward to paying £12.50 every time I took the car into Town. 

It sucks more finding yourself living in one. 

Do you have an M now? 

That really sucks with the low emission zones mate, never knew that they actually banned cars from a certain year backwards. Hope they never get the same idea here as I'm never giving up DD my Aerodeck, they can shove their ULEZ where the sun doesn't shine! Was talking to Dave (DAVEMB2 on here) on the phone the other night and we were discussing this very issue. We worked out that his Civic MB3 (1.5 eco-vtec) works out to be causing less pollution compared to buying a new hybrid/electric/new petrol car. Sounds impossible?

Well, the amount of carbon footprint producing one of these new cars is huge compared to what his 20 odd year old civic is producing now. The amount of things the planet needs to give up to make a new car, and the amount of pollution caused by making it, is high compared with the very low emissions his mb3 is putting out. Ay MOT time, the mb3 is way below the actual limit that's allowed. That, along with the fact he can get around 450 (sometimes more) from a tank of unleaded means that keeping his car on the go rather than scraping and getting a brand new car is a more effective way to lower the pollution and carbon footprint. The enviromentalists/govt etc don't look at it that way though. And they think that moving everyone to EV's is the way forward but it isn't. Although the EV's don't emit any emissions, the pollution is just moved elsewhere. The pollution caused making them, the extra pollution churned out by power stations trying to charge them all, the extra hassle of how do we dispose of the batteries when the car is end of life or written off.........that's all pollution that's just been moved around. So every time you see an EV with the sticker "Zero emissions" on it, its actually BS! lol

One thing to watch out for on the 2001 registered civc M's is they are taxed different to pre 2000 civics. The road tax is considerably more on 2001 year Civic M's compared to any other Civic M's.

They are deffo out there, but hard to find. As Simon said, the Civic M's were not being produced in 2001, production ceased between 99/2000. The 2001 civics were just the last of the Civics that were registered in 2001, not actually built then. Production of the EP/EU Civic had already started by then and the new Civic was on sale.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dr_broon said:

Do you have an M now? 

Not yet. I currently have a 1990s non-Honda car.

9 hours ago, Dave said:

That really sucks with the low emission zones mate, never knew that they actually banned cars from a certain year backwards.

One thing to watch out for on the 2001 registered civic M's is they are taxed different to pre 2000 civics. The road tax is considerably more on 2001 year Civic M's compared to any other Civic M's.

The cars are not completely banned. You will have to pay a £12.50 daily charge to drive an older car into the zone. Residents living in the zone apparently get a discount but I am not sure how much.

I was aware of the tax issue. According to the official tax checker, the 1.4 Sport would cost £260 per year to tax.

I agree completely that keeping an existing car going causes less waste than building a new one.

20 minutes ago, YRegMB said:

According to the official tax checker, the 1.4 Sport would cost £260 per month to tax.

I agree completely that keeping an existing car going causes less waste than building a new one.

£260 a month road tax?????? I thought it would be a year?  If it's per month that's crazy, no wonder so many cars in mint condition went to scrap during the second wave of the scrapage scheme.

Hopefully (doubtful) in time the powers that be will see the error of their thinking and realize that old cars (if they've been properly serviced and maintained during their life) are worth keeping on our roads and shouldn't keep being penalized as they are a more environmentally friendly than making new cars. We can live in hope! Love live the Civic M!

• Like 1