Vtec-e retires at 305 k miles

15vtec-e

A whie since I posted here, but the Vtec-e has continued to reliably trundle the motorways of the UK and rack up the miles (even managing 15k during Covid 'lockdown' year) ! The time has come to retire the car as it needs way too much in the way of repairs and rebuilds to get an MOT and carry on for another year. It's a shame, as the engine still returns over 50 mpg (60+ with new plugs) on a long journey and some would say it is just run in !! What is amazing is that the Honda garage diagnosed a noisy alternator bearing at 17000 miles and recommended replacement - but it has lasted this long !

In case any MA9 owners are wondering, the only other parts worth salvaging are 4 good tyres, and with a weeks MOT left, it can be driven away still. I'll try and get some pictures up later.

Pete 

• Like 3

Amazing how they can just keep going... So long as they can avoid the dreaded rust. 

Shame it's come to the end of the road but she's done you well with that mileage. 

What's on the shopping list as a replacement? 

• Like 1

Some pictures in this morning's sun.

Yes, rust round the rear arch and the bottoms of doors and the front wings are places to check for of course. You can see the patch round the rear arch. Several patches have been welded on the floor, and now more welding would be needed at the front for another MOT. Surprisingly no issues with rusty brake pipes. Only once after very heavy rain were the RAC called, so really cant complain about the reliability.

A recent Astra 1.4 Turbo is the replacement in the garage. I couldn't justify the bonkers prices for my preferred choice of the equivalent Golf at the moment. If another MA9 came up for sale I would be interested in running it as a second car - they aren't quick, but do cover the miles in a relaxed fashion.

Pete   

H vtec-e 1.jpg

H vtec-e 2.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing to see her last so long and give such reliable service. That mileage and the fact she still runs perfectly is deffo reasons to be proud of the wee Civic. I doubt there are any new cars for sale today that will still be going strong after so many years/miles. Deffo none of these stupid milk float EV's, that's for sure. Testiment to the quality of cars Honda used to make eh! Parts for these pre-facelift civic M's are like gold dust mate, especially the front wings and bonnet.  The bumpers front and rear and headlights/tail lights are also unique to these early Civic M's. Again, if she's going to a breakers, would be worth removing these first as you should get them sold pretty easily.

• Like 1

I expect she'll end up going to the breakers, but I'll hang on for now. Unfoutunately the bottom of the front wings are rusty, but the bonnet is fine, apart from the expected chips after 300k. The headlamps have always suffered from condensation inside the sealed units. I cleaned off as much oxidation as possible from the exterior plastic a while back, which helped, but I suspect they need a hole drilling to try and fix the condensation issue. Rear lights are good. Front bumper had a fight with a small deer many years ago which left it pushed back half a cm or so and a slight split in the rubber, but rear bumper is good. The pictures above show its best side !!

I'll continue browsing the usual places facebk/Gumtree/Austotrader in case another suitable MA9 comes up. I do like its cruising ability on motorways, and the relatively big boot for clearing out garages etc.

Pete     

• Like 3