MB8 dies after engine warms up (D14A8)

Swillow777

Question

Any ideas where to look at, Civic Aerodeck MB8 1998, D14A8 engine (VIN: SHHMB8770WU000267). Just dies out after engine warms up and after that it`s not starting at all. After a 10 minute break it starts again but then also stalls out warming up to working temperature..

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

@Swillow777Hi Mate, can be various different things that cause this.Are you getting the EML coming on when it happens? Sounds like it could be  a sensor or wiring breaking down when it gets up to temp. Might be the o2 sensor/EGR valve? Does the engine feel like it's misfiring when it does it? If yes, then could be a simple as a spark plug or HT lead breaking down. 

Never seen a 1.4 Aerodeck before so quite rare! Get some photos of it up mate, we all pics of the Civic M's here

• Like 1

Had the same issue a while ago. Engine ran fine and then suddenly - dead.
You could even see the tach have a seizure a few moments before the engine died.

My only fix was to get a new complete dizzy, as they don't sell just the pickups/sensors inside of them.
Even a whole new coil and ECM module didn't help and I even tested out a different ECU altogehter.

The problem is that most aftermarket dizzys for our Hondas are ... hot garbage, to be honest.

If you buy a cheap-ish one, you'll quickly find yourself ordering the next one sooner than later.

The only quality brand I've seen is based in the US, by the name of "Dragon Fire".

I know, sounds kinda iffy, but their stuff even meets the IATF standard, meaning it really is better than all of that Chinesium-garbage off eBay, and I've been running it for almost half a year now without complaint!

Costs a pretty penny, though. :/

• Like 2