Help pls - MC2 Aerodeck 1.8 Vti - driveshaft snapped

mc2hammer

Question

This has just happened to me. Driver's side has snapped, looks like at the damper (apparently goes rusty under them and cant be seen,  and is a well known issue according to the recovery man)

Found this post on the subject (link below) 

Looked up J&R looks like they still do them for the car.  There are 3 available, 2 outers and an inner, obvsly need to replace the snapped OS one but I guess would be sensible to do the other (near) side too asap as clearly this is a weak spot and is an accident waiting to happen. do i need to do inner as well though ? for now though just want to get her running again to see if anything else has broken. shouldnt have done as it happened at low speed / moving off. and can select gears ok still. 

Cheers for any advice from others that may have suffered the same. It seems like it's a common issue though ? 

Old post I know but any update on this - I have just got an issue that the recovery driver reports as being snapped driveshaft, sounds like this damper could be the problem ?  will inspect and have a look under in the light hopefully tomorrow. Just been on to J&R looks like still available, 3 parts available, inner and 2 outers, should/ do I need to replace all 3  ? is the damper just on the outers ? 

I'll probably do a new post tomorrow with more info

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

Yeah my passenger side one went a few years ago under power pulling out of a petrol station in busy traffic. 

I've just had to have the driver side one done as the joint was goosed. 

Used j&r both times. 

thanks both, are you happy with J&R then dr_broon, you must be if you have fitted them twice, only I have read some rather mixed reviews (they seem too cheap ?). AKR Performance have TrakMotive part which costs 3.5x the J&R part but, if you reckon the J&R is ok, then I might as well stick that in and give it a whirl, so to speak. I'm hoping to fit it myself, as the job doesn't look too difficult (famous last words) ??

As per title of thread, I only have the VTi not Vti-S btw, if that makes any difference, I need to correct my profile description.     

Thanks, ordered yesterday and part has arrived already, so can't fault their service. On initial inspection it looks ok, fingers crossed all will be good and will fit etc, but was assured by J&R it was the correct part for the vehicle, so can do no more than that.

Not had this happen on mine (fingers crossed!) But know others have deffo had the same thing happen. Don't think they were the strongest drive shafts even when new tbh. The VTi/VTiS have more power than the usual D series so probably why more of those I've seen snapping the shafts. Glad it was only at low speed mate, could have been nasty otherwise.