creaking front wheel

dr_broon

I've got eibach springs and koni sport shocks... had them on a couple of years now though.

it's mainly when I'm stopped and just turning the wheel a little bit past centre.. does it a bit when starting to move and coming to a stop. doesn't seem to do it when I'm moving.

when I sprayed everything behind the wheel with lube it stopped (until it rained :lol: )

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

try copper grease on your pads

or would threr be a loose bolt on the steering rack??

i only noticed today i have that aswell not loud though

when i push and pull and wheel in and out i can feal the creaking on the wheel too Fing wierd

try copper grease on your pads

or would threr be a loose bolt on the steering rack??

i only noticed today i have that aswell not loud though

when i push and pull and wheel in and out i can feal the creaking on the wheel too Fing wierd

I had a similar problem on my MA9; an embarrassing creaking all the time from the nearside whenever I turned the steering, hit a bump or even pushed down on that corner of the car by hand. It recently passed the MOT with it creaking and the inspectors opinion was it was just a bush that needed lubrication.

Last week I found out what it was in dramatic fashion when the lower balljoint snapped, collapsing the suspension and wrenching the driveshaft from the gearbox also wrecking the inner CV in the process. The wheel also hit the wing, badly denting that as well. Fortunately this all happened in a supermarket car park at parking speed and not on a town centre one way system or on the motorway where I had been five minutes earlier. When turning at low speed the load on the joint must be much greater than when at speed which may explain why it happened when it did.

I had to get it recovered to a garage near my work to get it repaired quickly as its my daily driver. The final bill - balljoint £15, driveshaft £135!! (rip off, I could have got a new one for half that) + labour/VAT = £336! At least the creaking has now gone.

The annoying thing is I had done a web search prior to the event for 'civic creaking suspension' and not found anything conclusive. Afterwards when I did a search for 'civic broken ball joint' I quickly found this http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/lowerballjoint/index.html which exactly described my problem. It also happens on Rover 400/45 which have the same suspension.

I suspect the ball joint problem won't have been helped by the large number of speed ramps in my area.

So I recommend that you get these inexpensive parts (£15-£20 a side) changed before it becomes a much bigger problem. There's a clip on youtube showing an easy way a breaking the joint off if you're doing it yourself.

PS anyone have a pair or seen any early type MA8/MA9/MB1 front wings - preferably silver - I need them!

1"£££$££"!

Archived