MB6 Steering Feel

mb6vti

I find this kinda strange, because i find the MB steering very heavy! which seems to be a trait of the MB. the only problem with it, is it some times goes vague depending on the condition.

Agree that tyres make a huge difference. and also wheels size. ive tried 15 16 and 17's. the 17s was too big and affected the braking, but steering felt very good. 15's felt too soft when i ran eagle f1's and 16 is in my opinion the best wheel size for the car.

Ive tried Eagle f1, Toyo T1r and Revspec 2 and hankook RS2. the RS2 is by far the best tyre i have used so far for the MB. the other ones made the steering very soft. i think this is due to the soft sidewalls. and the RS2 has a pretty stiff sidewall which probably explains why the steering feels more positive and direct.

another thing u can do to improve turn in is to install a front lower tie bar. this really does make the car more darty and positive.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so blames where did you source the lower tie bar from as if this improves turn in and feel i will defo buy one?

as for wheels i am running on std 15s and KU31 tyres (jello sidewalls) which don't help so my next upgrade will be 16s and RS2s as you say.

I find this kinda strange, because i find the MB steering very heavy! which seems to be a trait of the MB. the only problem with it, is it some times goes vague depending on the condition.

You're spot on with the steering description if I compare it to mine. As already mentioned by others I reckon tyre choice can also help a great deal. I've currently got soft sidewall Michelin's from the previous owner and I reckon changing them could significantly change the feel.

Trying a different tyre pressure might also help slightly.

Im running a Spoon front lower tie bar for the DC2. but im sure other makes should fit, providing they can be slightly adjustable.

Tyre pressure also changes alot. i tend to run higher psi's (F34 R33) on longer trips with heavy load (passengers) more comfortable ride i reckon.

Most the time i drive it alone or with Gf int he car so i run F30/31 R30. responds nicer int he corners.

• 3 weeks later...

agree with blames here, ive always thought the steering was heavy on the mb6 aswell, but i like that as its just wot u need for fast driving, tyres are definatly the first and cheapest option to try after that its suspension mods really. getting adjustable camber an castor will definatly make a difference, oh and if you still have the standard steering wheel in the car, try a smaller one although it doesnt make any difference to how the car turns it feels a whole lot better

• 3 months later...

yeah steering weird on these mb's. seems slow and a lil heavy at slow speeds but at high speeds its hard to keep in a straight line its so light.

always thought thats just how they are???

hi lads i have the same issue steering feel gets light and a little vague it seems to be more responsive when the revs are up think thats just how the are this is my second mb6 , how ever i have heard they can be a bit hard on ball joints is this true :D:D:D:D

Im with the steering is heavy boys on this. However it can go a bit dodgy when pushing it to the limit. Its a bit more wild since the smaller lighter 15s went on when accelerating hard. But when cornering it feels really sharp and i can corner really well. Its probably the D2 coilies and the yoko tyres making a lot of difference i would say though. Agree you have to contend with understeer in the wet, to an extent. I drive a diesel s**troen van all day which understeers like mad wet or dry!! But in the dry i had to do 60 round a tight left hander before the MB under steered the lim slip really does pay dividends!

There must be something wrong with my car then, cus my steering is heavy in a straight line and gets heavier when turning, like its attached to a spring which is getting compressed and wants to throw the steering wheel back to the nuetral position.

If you are really dead set on having heavier steering, take the power steering off, pulling the fuse out should do the trick to try it out for a little while, then pull the whole system if you like it. Iv found that my steering is quite light since lowering my car, though this will be because I currently have -2.8 degrees of camber (new top arms on the way) so it may be worth checking the camber you are running if you have changed the wheels or suspension set up in any way. If you are running too close to 0 or positive then it will probably make the steering very heavy, if its too far negative like me it will go all light and swashy.

Archived