vtec problems

shebabby

Every other month on my car :D

If your engine sounds 'tappety' or ticky then you need to do them!

Only takes an hour and difference is cracking!

What you can do it yourself can you???

Dead easy mate! Takes about an hour and you only need very basic tools!

10mm socket, spark plug socket, flat head driver, 10mm open ended spanner, wheel brace and a feeler gauge (£10 in halfrauds)

It's a lot easier than it sounds ;)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends really mate, if you've never had them done, it's like going back to a new car again!

If they are only slightly off / loose, then smaller difference really.

Either way, it's one of the big power loss factors in most hydraulic tappet'd engines.

Basically over time the valve spring tensioning nuts come slightly looser, so the cam's are not pushing quite as far as they should. It's only usually .002 or so of an inch difference, but if you've never done them, it's like getting bigger cams!

And the noise difference, engine is a lot quieter and smoother feeling. B Series engines always 'tick' but thats cause the injectors are noisy :D

The best example I can think of is... Old Fiesta's you can pretty mch here every component in the engine wobbling around! If you sorted the valve clearances out (also called tappet adjusting) the engine noise would be back to near nil!

yes mate i know lol

wer gunna do it wen i did the t belt but couldnt loosen the bolt so didnt do either .

i got up early today to have another go ? only to look outside and see more SNOW ! so it looks like it will

do for another day lol .

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the year your car was registered if you go by the service schedule. Before july 1998 its every 2 years or 24,000 miles, after july 1998 is every 3 years or 27,000 miles! I do it every 2 years, cos mines a 1997 car! ;) Worth doing once a year if you can be bothered, I would also suggest changing the rocker cover gasket when you do it, at a cost of about £15 from Honda iirc.

went out with my mate in his dec tday :D

and wen he hits the vtec the cross over is a big change in sound !

still cant seem to get mine to do the same :( iv tried most things but still doesnt seem to roar .

went out with my mate in his dec tday :D

and wen he hits the vtec the cross over is a big change in sound !

still cant seem to get mine to do the same :( iv tried most things but still doesnt seem to roar .

did you get your clearences sorted?

Archived