VTEC in 3rd

Dave

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does vtec not kick in if only a certain amount of throttle is pressed??

the selanoid will open to engage the vtec around 5000 rpm no matter if your on the revs or not !

but i think it only fully engages wen it needs extra humph !

i fitted a vtec light and noticed that if the revs ar above 5000 rpm the light stays lit up weather im on the revs

or not !!

Thats mostly right mate, VTEC is always engaged at 5k rpm, but thats mainly because you can't get to 5k rpm without activating the right situation to activate it..

VTEC is pretty much on or off. It relies on a few parameters to engage, Throttle must be above 30%, Oil pressure must be correct, speed must be above 15mph & RPM must be above 4500 (standard engagement point on B18C4)

You can drive down a motorway at up to 4900 revs (just under 90 in 5th) and not be in VTEC. Thats the main reason I put the VTEC light on mine, so I could keep it out of vtec on the motorway.

So, beast, yes mate, minimum of 30% throttle!

4900! mmm!! handy to know nice one ,been doin 4200/4300 thought you have y21?you talking about s9b??is it cam@ 4300-4900 on primary cams??

I was on S9B mate. To keep it off cam on the motorway, you just have to gradually increase the speed, as the main factor in the VTEC engagement at motorway speeds is the throttle sensor! Best way is to wire in a VTEC light as it saved me a fortune in fuel on the motorway by being able to keep it out of VTEC!

So u can get up to 90 without hitting vtec then John?

I might have to get this light sorted :D

You can either go to maplins and buy a crappy 12V LED, or do what I did :)

0bi9zRbfTA0

Thats some cheapo ebay LED strip, £3.99 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0551616084

Basically I wired them in to the top of the speedo cluster, there is a lighting 'window' at the top, with 2 normal LED's in which provide the ambient light when the headlights are on. Stick the LED strips in there, wire the positive end to the VTEC solenoid feed, and earth it somewhere, I used my radio earth as I knew it was good :)

Follow this guide :)

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=978

But change the LED bit slightly dependant on what you want :D

90 is achievable out of VTEC, so long as you increase your speed from 80 with as little throttle as possible :)

Archived