VTEC in 3rd

Dave

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dead easy really mate. As Kink Says, don't use a socket to undo the valve nut, use a open ended spanner!

Most important thing though is, COLD engine, I mean, don't use it the day you are doing it, until you have finished!

Guages are only £7 (ish) from halfrauds), just buy the bigger set of the 2 they sell, as the smaller one does not have the right feeler in it ;)

And, take your time. Check, recheck, and double recheck everything!

Takes around 40 minutes once you've done it a few times, but allow a couple of hours for the first time!

It's really not as scarey as it sounds!

The service manual says that the engine temperature must be under 38 celcius degrees, so the best way to feel the temperature is by hand: When the valve train is colder than your hand you can start the adjustment. I noticed that the best way to get the right clearance, is to keep the feeler gauge in the slit as long as you tighten the valve nut! Then you can feel immediately if it goes too tight. And always double check! 8-)

cheers mates!

I adjusted the valve clearance today and there was at least 0.05 mm too big clearance in each valve. After the the adjustment my B18C4 is purring like a cat! There is no more lack of power at 5000-7000 rpm! 8-)

Wow!!! it made that much difference! did you get a garage to do it? got to do mine asap! ;)

Here in Turku is one DIY garage which has good equipment and you must have your own tools. I always use that one because I don't have an own garage. I can hand wash my car there too! They have 12 car slots in the garage and it costs 20 cents (€) per minute and every hour brings 10 % discount (1 hr -> 10 %, 2 hrs -> 20 % and etc.)

cheers mates!

I adjusted the valve clearance today and there was at least 0.05 mm too big clearance in each valve. After the the adjustment my B18C4 is purring like a cat! There is no more lack of power at 5000-7000 rpm! 8-)

Wow!!! it made that much difference! did you get a garage to do it? got to do mine asap! ;)

Easiest way is to get a garage and rolling the camshafts is easy: put 1st or 2nd gear on without the handbrake and push the car from in front as much as you notice the camshaft turning. Start from the 1st cylinder. Cam lobes must be pointing straight upwards when adjusting.

And before you start taking off the valve cover: did you remember to buy a new cover gasget? ;) DON'T use an old one!!

cheers mates!

Easiest way is to get a garage and rolling the camshafts is easy: put 1st or 2nd gear on without the handbrake and push the car from in front as much as you notice the camshaft turning. Start from the 1st cylinder. Cam lobes must be pointing straight upwards when adjusting.

And before you start taking off the valve cover: did you remember to buy a new cover gasget? ;) DON'T use an old one!!

I never used a new one! I do clearances every 10k or so. Never had an issue. Obviously, if it looked awful I would buy a new one, but not 'every' time!

Archived