Oil filter change

ryan..

Is there an easy way to do this in a vti/vti-s?

Me and a couple mates did an oil change, plugs and oil filter change today and getting the filter off was a knightmare. We ended up punching a hole in it with a screwdriver moving it slightly, making another hole, move a bit more etc etc till it was loose enough to undo by hand.

There wasnt enough room to put in a proper removal tool....how do you guys do it?

I use a pair of large grips. Squashes the old filter but ok.

Then I just tighten the new one as much as I can by hand. I have got hulk hands tho. No problems at all with leaks or coming loose

Yup. Pain in the arse! I found, get some marigolds, pour very cheap lemonade on them (outside of them obviosuly), let them dry out and they should be sticky as hell!

Getting it off it much easier under the car, as you can reach up and grip it properly, just be prepared to be covered :D

Many many times though, I've used a long screwdriver and rammed it through! :D Filter wrenches ETC are crap as there's so little room to manouver in the back of there! Snap on one is bloody good, but personally, for the ammount of times you'd use it at home, not worth the cost!

lol, usually people just put them on too tight mate! and forget to use new engine oil around the rubber seal!

They only supposed to be hand tight, but I've seen people using filter wrenches to tighten them up too! :S

Totaly agree it is the faffiest filter to change in 35 years of motoring :)

I use the original cheapo bike chain and wrench, setting the size beforehand and locking it with a twisted piece of wire on the wrench.

Put a dab of oil on the oil seal rubber before hand tightening the new filter ...

Pete

Archived