Over heating - temp needle in the red!

IceMan

Yer not good. Its an on going problem that seems to be worse than ever. Temp gauge needle is hitting red sometimes. Usual if motoring along the needle will drop down to about half way but today i couldn't get it lower than 90% from max. Steam coming from rad cap and coolant seeping from overflow pipe. Coolant over rad fan and rad but cant be sure where that has come from exactly. Its been a intermittent fault never got this bad so im thinking what ever has been causing it has now failed completely. It used to over heat occasionally usual after sustained driving say at 80mph for 10-15 mins but today its constant and isnt triggered by any particular load from the engine.

What i have discovered so far :

Top rad hose is scorchio and bottom is stone cold. Rad is stone cold up to the very top where it too is scorchio. Heaters blow out cold air even when set to hot when its over heating. When its not over heating they operate normally. Haynes manual says if top hose is hot then thermostat is working.... It was in the garage last week and they couldn't get it to over heat once. sods law.

Any ideas? I'm car'less until this is resolved and i got work tmo :( doh!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sounds like the stat was faulty which you should of changed ages ago by the sounds of it. due to the hot weather we have been having lately you car will be needing the stat and fan working. i would now say you may have turned a £20 thermostat in to a head gasket job

was flushed at the garage last week monday , was ok for about week but now the problem is back and worse than ever :(

Bottom pipe being cold and no heat from the heater despite temp gauge at near max must mean something to someone.

haynes says top pipe from rad hot termostat operating ok

garage pressure tested engine and cooling system - all ok no head gasket failure. No evidence to suggest otherwise yet but it cant be ruled out perhaps its weeping rather than completely failed. No power loss when not overheating ( i dont dare boot it when it is). No smoke , no oil in coolant , economy normal etc

haynes says top pipe from rad hot termostat operating ok

garage pressure tested engine and cooling system - all ok no head gasket failure. No evidence to suggest otherwise yet but it cant be ruled out perhaps its weeping rather than completely failed. No power loss when not overheating ( i dont dare boot it when it is). No smoke , no oil in coolant , economy normal etc

when did they pressure test before or after the big blow out?

No they haven't seen it since as its just happend today. I did call them last week when it started again and they suggested new rad cap as it may not be releasing the pressure. Bought a new rad cap and fitted it today. Perhaps i have caused an airlock and now its a combination with the existing fault? If it was going to blow it would of been when they tested it unless im very unlucky... dont swear at me with this HG failure thing any more i cant afford to hear it :D

Archived