Over heating - temp needle in the red!

IceMan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yer i told the garage when i took it in the stat is suspect but as they couldnt get it to over heat then i guess they are not willing to replace it. When i drop it off with steam pooring out then maybe that will prompt them . I'm scared of driving it now...precious honda

i wouldnt go driving it as you will probably just cause more damage. i have had a few hondas where one day it will be fine and the next day the temp would go up. so just because they couldnt get it to over heat doesnt mean the stat wasn't fooked

how does a blown gasket lead to no heat from the fan heater and a cold pipe from the radiator?

Stat 99% definately gone! Hot top hose, and cold bottom hose, means the stat is not working at all and is stuck closed!

Bleed it properly first though, it's very different on a Honda than most VW's and such like!

sounds to me like they have not bled it properly after doing the flush, causing an airlock and ultimately probably the end of your headgasket, honda engines dont take to being cooked

X2 - Sounds to me like they've not bled it at all well!

Take radiator cap off when cold engine, turn heater dials to FULL HEAT, then fans on full blow.

Turn the engine on, then wait for it to warm up. IF the stat opens, you'll see big bubbles from the radiator, and the water levels drop. Keep them topped up.

Once car is at normal temp, check bottom and top rad pipes to make sure they are warm / hot, if not, the stat is dead!

TBH, if I had an overheating issue, and a possible airlock, I'd take the stat out completely, until you can get another new one! Take it out, then bleed the system off, you should have engine running too cold, which is obviously not ideal, but far far better than too hot!

Ok going to try that out now. cheers

brb :)

dont come back to soon as it will mean you havent bleed it for long enough :lol:

ok, heater on full beans and fan on full blast. No heat coming from them and no bubbles detected this was at idle, temp seemed normal and stable but i know if i drove it would rise. both rad hoses cold but the top one was starting to warm. I would imagine as there is no flow through the system that it takes a little time for any existing coolant in that pipe to boil.

take out and test it in saucepan mate!bring to boil turn off heat and watch open /close, rubber gasket so no probs there!local motor factors parts place £10

Archived