Over heating - temp needle in the red!

IceMan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strangely enough recently my car seems to be overheating, opened the bonnet & engine seemed really really hot compared to usual, but the needle hasnt reached the top but nearly halfway. The top hose is burning hot, bottom hose was cold at one point then fairly hot. Should I be worried about this? Ive never once heard the fan kick in.

Ive also noticed the internal heater seems too be giving out heat even without the fan selected.

Thanks guys.

@iceman did you get the main problem sorted? where it was steaming out through the grill?

btw I went to get thermostat sorted...mechanic revved the sh** out of it & got the fan to kick in & said its normal for these engines to get hot. He also said stat is OK. (even though he didnt take out the stat) Im thinking to have a go at it myself but after breaking a tool trying to DIY a fuel filter a while ago Im a bit scared to try it myself :(

i think you might have a duff radiator iceman..

happened to me in my 1.6 vti ek4..

noticed abit of smoke from front grille, opened the bonnet and water everywhere..

i tested the radiator again and no leaks?? then ran a jet pipe through it and no apparent leaks again!

i fitted another rad for £25.. didn't have any problems then!

what signs would indicate a failed water pump?

I think its kind of odd that a few nights before it played up again it was absolutely fine , i mean i wasn't hanging around and the temp needle didn't budge at all. That evening when i got home I sat on the drive letting it tick over for a few moments and nothing.

Archived