Polyurethane bushes

Guest MattMB6

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when fitting these things, are you supposed to remove the steel liners too? reason for asking is i fitted the bushes in with the steel liners and they went in sound. as i looked through the centre the bushes close-up towards the inner middle ie the hole is not the same diameter all the way through. then when i pressed the inner tube in, the bushes squash out either side 2-3mm. any ideas?

With the Energy-stuff the steel liners have to be removed too - at least that is according instructions (i'm currently working on the LCAs)...

I tried to fit the Civic kit and had the same problem as you. I had to keep the steel liners for the outers of the LCA, for the suspension attachment I popped them out due to the diameter of the new bushing. On the other hand, it was too thick, so I had to remove some material of the bushing and cut the supplied sleeve to good length.

As long as the MA-MB-MC models are not listed as particular models on websites, DIY and adjusting jobs will never end so to adapt bushings not conceived for our cars I think...

I'll do a write-up once I finish mine so I can atleast transmit some valuable information to Energy suspension, just to cite this one.

when fitting these things, are you supposed to remove the steel liners too? reason for asking is i fitted the bushes in with the steel liners and they went in sound. as i looked through the centre the bushes close-up towards the inner middle ie the hole is not the same diameter all the way through. then when i pressed the inner tube in, the bushes squash out either side 2-3mm. any ideas?

When fitting the strong flex rear kit, I removed the entire of the bushings - steel and rubber - on the LCA for instance, this involved removing the inner steel tube & rubber and then cutting through/pressing out the remaining outer steel tube of the bush. After that the bushes fit pretty easily & everything looked square. The only time I didn't do this was with the big bush on the trailing arm - this needed the steel liner to be left in place & cleaned up for the new bushing.

It's taken the weekend to do all rear bushes but, on inspection, my rear big bushes were both knackered, definitely a MOT fail, so glad to have done the fix. Next job - front bushings. This had better drive sweet as when I'm done!

• 8 months later...
My MC2 front roll bar measured at 24mm - checked this when ordering the bushes.

Powerflex offers either 21mm or 25mm, i just made an order for my MC2 and chose the latter. I hope the 1mm difference is ok! :roll:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My front suspension started clunking a bit and i was sure it was a bush, so i bought and installed a Powerflex front bush kit from crnproducts. As my car is pretty low and stiff anyway, it's hard to tell a major difference between stock and powerflex, except when driving fast... so track days, here i come!

Archived