Freak wagon build

FREAKBOY

Alrighty then, i've had this car 2 years and when I bought it I didn't realise just how slow the D16B auto was, however, I soon learned that it was the best engine to turbocharge. Up until August all the car had been treated to were some Ripspeed R1 wheels with 195x50x15 rubber, a set of P.I. lowering springs @40mm, cat-back stainless exhaust from Powerflow, smoked side repeaters, de-badged rear door, bee-sting, front lip and window tints.

The car has been top notch so far but there was just one final box to tick - POWER.

On August 6th the car came off the road to start the forced induction modifications. I decided to go for a stock block set-up using low boost of 8 psi which is well within compression tolerances, the stock map sensor should be able to read up to 1.7 atmospheres (BAR). As we are at 1.0 atmosphere at sea level thats an extra 0.7 BAR (or 10.66 psi) for boost. After doing a fair bit of research (but not enough - LOL) I learned that it should be good for 200bhp, which I think the auto trans should be just about able to cope with. A manual conversion can not be an option for me I'm afraid

The air-con had to go to make room for the manifold and huge T3/T4. A very good turbo downpipe was sourced from somewhere in Lancashire and was mated to, this did need shortening slightly. The external wastegate dump pipe was fed back into the downpipe further down, which took some time to modify. There isn't much room so the air filter (sourced from same place as the DP - 2fast2cool2 on ebay) had to go onto the turbo before the turbo went onto the manifold.

110809-3.jpg

1009091.jpg

The sump was then tapped for the oil return and a sandwich plate was used for a feed to a front mounted oil cooler. Unfortunately the cooler I bought actually LEAKED, which put us back a bit whilst I sourced another. Not all cooler fittings are the same either so care was taken to source one that had the correct threads for my pipes to go onto.

PHTO0041.jpg

PHTO0042.jpg

The oil feed for the turbo came from the original oil switch feed and a restrictor has had to be sourced as I didn't know just how high the pressure gets on high revs, it's more than enough to kill the turbo seals. The restrictor was from 'Hose-Solutions'. I didn't get the right thread first time thoug.h

1009094.jpg

The intercooler was another biatch to fit due to space issues, eventually I opted to cut some metal back from the front panel, it's bad enough losing the air-con and the front lower grille, I refused to lose the fog lights too. The front end is back on now and doesn't look too bad, I do plan to straighten it up a bit and mesh it over, a matching badgeless grille would look nice too.

0909096.jpg

set1.jpg

0909093.jpg

0909092.jpg

09090911.jpg

0909091.jpg

The fuel pressure regulator was fairly straight forward to plumb in although a new O-ring was installed to the adapter plate to cure a fairly spectacular leak on the first pressurisation..

The hardest part was deciding where to mount it as you need to be able to adjust it and see the gauge.

Boost gauge and oil pressure gauge have been mounted on the A pillar, sourced from GlowShift.

Catch-can, hi-flo fuel filter and BOV are yet to go on. A tuning solution is yet undecided as more knowledge needs to be aquired first, options are limited for autos.

I'll post more with pics when I can

ADDED

OK, the catch can is on and I took it round the block today. Disappointing though it was. It was only creating a max of 3psi, even took it to 7200 rpm - nothing. It should be way more. Obviously the engine light came on. It went completely flat from 4500rpm. I can't see any restrictions it the pipework or find any leaks. I read somewhere that the map sensor should be able to read 10 psi. But ofcourse the ECU doesn't know what to do with it

I didn't expect it to go like stink as it is un-tuned with stock ECU, but I did expect it to create some boost from the T3/T4 w/ .50/.63 57trim. Is this turbo too big? I'm considering a change to T25 for the low down spool-up.

I'm getting a bit stuck now, if anyone has options for ecu tuning please speak up, the code is P1K-E63 non v-tec. I hear that they are like OBD1, is this true? It does look that way on the outside. I reckon it needs to be chipped now and i'll probably go with something like Crome, and if somebody can do it. I just need to find some boost to map first though.

Ok, I got her back again today (nov 15th) after yet more work. After the initial drive about I was disappointed enough to re-think the size of the turbo. I decided to get hold of a new T3 and fit it to the car. It was a wise choice. Boost is there at 3000 rpm now and i'm happy with it so far.

There were a number of leaks and issues which lead me to re-locate the oil filter, oil cooler and catch can. Sandwich plates are impossible to get on due to the ridges in the block. The sump also decided to spring a leak so that cost me a week and £90 to Honda. What cheesed me off was that after waiting a few days to get the gasket to me, they failed to mention that you need to adhere the thing to the block with special Honda adhesive which was £41!!! FFS. So another gallon of oil was wasted during that job too. The Mocal oil filter relocation kit was perfect though I must say, it was an ease to fit and didn't leak, which was nice after several weeks of oily nightmare.

Due to the dimensions difference between the T3 and the T3/T4 hybrid that it had on, the downpipe had to be re-welded with a new 4 bolt flange after cutting the 5 bolt one off. A brace was also fabricated to hang off the bottom of the block to support the downpipe.

I'm now quite pleased with the car at the moment and although there are major flat spots and dead zones under 5k it's nice to hear everything working properly under the bonnet. There are 2 small issues that need to be adressed now, one is that I only get a max of 4psi which is leading me to believe that the spring in the wastegate is half what I thought it was. The other issue is that when the car is warmed up and ticking over the oil pressure shows -1. I'm fairly confident that it's a sender unit issue as the stock oil light would come on if it dropped below 2psi.

It's crying out for the tuning part now but i'm going to drive the car for a couple of weeks before round 3 of the build, just to make sure things are right.

I have waiting to go on - a wideband kit, 440cc injectors, fuel pump, a chipped & socketed P06 ecu and a moates ostrich all from Xenocron.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDED April 1st 2010

Well the TDC problem was solved by buying a new TD-41u distributor to replace my TD-80u. The signal type was wrong for the ECU (LED Vs Magnetic) so that was hard wired into the ECU with the extra sensor wires. So now she runs with the P06 and the chip plus the 440cc injectors. IACV is the next problem to tackle OBD1 and OBD2 are incompatible so a complete throttlebody and intake swap may be the way forward for that. I'll keep posting updates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDED 09/06/10

The intake and throttlebody were replaced with an older OBD1 item. After changing a couple of plugs, pipes, modifying it to automatic and relocating the throttle cable bracket it was ready to go. It fired up and after a while idled smoothly. I couldn't resist taking it on the twisties,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it goes well, I had a play with a Lancer for about 10 miles, not serious just a bit of fun. I've still got warning lamps up though

I managed to clear the SRS warning light on the dash but can't seem to clear the ABS light. It's throwing no codes either. Hmmm more to ponder. After i've done that and got the CAT back on it'll be ready for a new MOT. That'll be a good day.

Here's a few more pics

Photo-0034.jpg

Photo-0033.jpg

Photo-0032.jpg

Photo-0031.jpg

Photo-0035.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to my sources;-

http://www.xenocron.com/ For ECU's, Injectors, Fuel pumps, Tuning hardware & software and much more. Very recommended for Honda owners.

http://www.hosesolutions.org.uk/ For hoses and adapters etc.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/ For gauges,pods and senders etc.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like a really nice build mate. You should be able to post pics, theres an attachment button at bottom when making a post, or you can put in the link form photobucket.com or any other pic hosting sites ;)

Dying to see this! 8-)

Super mate i love it .can you put a link up for the restictor as ill give one a go. Rich.

No probs, I will put a list of my sources at the bottom of the build as I get them so we can all share the hard to find parts. The guy at Hose-solutions was quite helpful and can make up any oil hose you like for very little cost.

Thanks all for the comments, it's encouraging