Freak wagon build

FREAKBOY

just had a good read through your thread and its brilliant :) really want to do my deck now. but i've been told it might be easier and cheaper to just stick another lump in

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cost of putting a B18 in is probably similar to turbocharging and is still a lot of work (ECU,wiring, shafts, hubs and probably brake assembly too. The thing is though that aerodecks are already available with a B18 (MC2) with 169 bhp. and I'd challenge any of them with my automatic turbo

so its basically what ever i do, its going to be a costly and long process? i quite like the thought of having a turbo though. what it like on fuel not going into boost?

Yes it can be costly, the trick is to know what you need and what you don't need, you can get a lot of parts cheap on ebay or scrap yards and some parts will need fabrication like the downpipe and sump oil feed. As for fuel it all depends on how it's tuned, to be honest mine drinks like a fish because it's tuned for max torque and needs another day on the dyno to get it right. There are no complete kits available for it that actually fit so the best way to go is to build up your parts individually before starting the job. Research is the key, the whole thing can be done in a few days if you know what you are doing and you have the right parts. There was a lot of trial and error with my build because it's unique.

Oh and 'not going into boost' lol,..... yeah right, it's a concept i've heard of but can't seem to get the grasp of, boost is just too addictive ;)

well my plan is to start to build up parts. race-teck up in sheffield do a kit, and the can fit it aswel for a price.

i think i just need to start with the main ingrediants to get me started and a bigger shed to fit it all in.

would you reccomend a cast manifold or SS? the cast ones are meant to be better?

If i was to do it again I would use a cast manifold simply for the space, and I'd go for a turbo with an internal gate for the ease of it. I also found out the hard way that T3/4 hybrids are too large for useable boost, opt for a T25 or T3 for lower spool times. My T3 gives good boost at 3000 rpm, the previous T3/4 didn't boost till 4500+ which was hideous. One of the first things you need to decide is how you are going to make it run. You can go for a chipped ecu, or one with Hondata or something else.

It's all the other bits n bobs that start to cost like bigger injectors, wideband O2 sensors, gauges, boost controllers, piping, tubing, wiring etc.

You don't really need oil coolers, extra fans or timers for the UK, but a bigger rad can never be a bad thing

BTW your deck is really stunning

If i was to do it again I would use a cast manifold simply for the space, and I'd go for a turbo with an internal gate for the ease of it. I also found out the hard way that T3/4 hybrids are too large for useable boost, opt for a T25 or T3 for lower spool times. My T3 gives good boost at 3000 rpm, the previous T3/4 didn't boost till 4500+ which was hideous. One of the first things you need to decide is how you are going to make it run. You can go for a chipped ecu, or one with Hondata or something else.

It's all the other bits n bobs that start to cost like bigger injectors, wideband O2 sensors, gauges, boost controllers, piping, tubing, wiring etc.

You don't really need oil coolers, extra fans or timers for the UK, but a bigger rad can never be a bad thing

BTW your deck is really stunning

thanks mate, she's got some new parts to go on within he next few weeks :)

thanks for the info, i really need to look into this and get my head around everything before i even start buying, because knowing me i'll start buying and wont finish and will have parts all over the place. probably best if i get a daily while this is in the process when i come round to actually doing the conversion.

are there any good sites that i can get info off for like injectors, fuel rails etc?

probably run with the hondata ECU i recon and then get TRD to tune it for me most likely

pgmfi.org and hondacivicforum.co.uk are good for tech info. I got most of my parts from Xenocron.com and they are very helpful folk. This site also has excellent threads.

As for the fuel rail, well you don't need one as the stock item is good for up to 400bhp, you can also use the stock MAP sensor if staying under 10psi. The injectors can be sourced either new or from another car, I did have a list that I got from the net of possible donors but lost it on a re-install of my pc. Shouldn't be too hard to find it tho. There's not a lot of room in the bumpers of M's for piping etc so choose your intercooler well.

A daily is handy, fortunately I had the use of 2 other cars. I also had a shed full of parts that either didn't fit or I didn't need. Including intercoolers, oil coolers, filter re-locating kit, sandwich plates, timers, wastegates, fans and turbo's. Most of which I have managed to sell on but they all cost me time and cash.

Which motor do you have in it?

i've got a D16W4 i think. i'll have to have a read tonight through those forums.

i think by the time i come to do the conversion i'll hopefully have the use of my mums car so shouldn't be too bad.

ye i need a slim intercooler but thing is what about sizes though? does it matter how big or small they are?

will i need an oil cooler as well will i?

sorry for all the questions im such a noob at the whole turbo scene. i know how they work its just all the other parts that go with it. also not looking to get a BOV as i want it to be a sleeper